Just another thought (designing a fast but powerful language)

Started by
76 comments, last by Aardvajk 10 years, 1 month ago

Are you sure what you want/need is a new language, and not just a nice framework/library for whatever task it is you want to achieve?

There is no language that is best on everything (or produce the least amount of lines for everything), you have to define what you want to do first.

Without a task, the discussion is rather pointless.

if i wanted to use a framework that could do what i wanted to achieve (there is none), my first post on this forum wouldn't have been about making game engines :)

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Advertisement

Are you sure what you want/need is a new language, and not just a nice framework/library for whatever task it is you want to achieve?

There is no language that is best on everything (or produce the least amount of lines for everything), you have to define what you want to do first.

if i wanted to use a framework that could do what i wanted to achieve (there is none), my first post on this forum wouldn't have been about making game engines smile.png

Even if there's nothing now that can do what you want, it would be easier to create a framework and tools based on current languages than to try to create a brand new one.

if i wanted to use a framework that could do what i wanted to achieve (there is none), my first post on this forum wouldn't have been about making game engines smile.png

i wonder if discussing YOU is not pointles, probably it is a bit pointless if you know what i mean, You are making yourself a bit like center of this forum by stating a banal statements ( like a big thousands of newbies before) or statements wich subjects is less the programing and more your person not programming -[ though on the other side, I did the same thing 10 years ago, also you have right to make simple statements,] I would like to comment in the same mode you do to share my own opinion not only yours here

if i wanted to use a framework that could do what i wanted to achieve (there is none), my first post on this forum wouldn't have been about making game engines :)

Even if there's nothing now that can do what you want, it would be easier to create a framework and tools based on current languages than to try to create a brand new one.
i will try that, it will help me to gain more experience. Qt is on my list.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

i will try that, it will help me to gain more experience.

You probably want to get the experience first before even attempting it. What you're considering is a huge task for a single person with a lot of experience.

i will try that, it will help me to gain more experience.

You probably want to get the experience first before even attempting it. What you're considering is a huge task for a single person with a lot of experience.
I'll definitely need to learn more than c++ and lua. I want everything to be right. This is like the only project i think i *may* not want to do solo.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

In my thoughts, i've created a google chrome style browser with less than 300 lines of code. It involves some sort of AI and the language uses specify a lot.

… and if you could actually do that sort of stuff in the real world instead of in your thoughts, Google (and lots of other companies) would throw so much money at you that you could end all poverty and still have more money than you could ever spend.

If we're going to go all dreamy, I can think of a machine that looks like a really cool hat that you can wear, and makes every game idea you'll ever think of magically appear fully created with the best graphics and gameplay ever. You don't even have to type a single line of code. How can any other invention ever beat that for game development? It'll use some clever neuro-science or something, and you have to focus on your idea for 10 seconds.

There is a world of difference between "I've got this fantastical magical thought-concept for something - I'm sure it's going to be awesome" and "This is a fully-functioning realization of an idea".

The former is easy. Ideas are generally easy.

Execution is hard.

haha, hat, that was good

You still don't even know what problem(s) you are trying to solve. Unless and until you can name a concrete area in which your language will be different, you're just scrabbling around in the dark. And unless you can argue convincingly that that language difference is an advantage, nobody will ever care.

I started building a new programming language eight years ago. It still is far from finished and lacks even the most basic tools like a debugger. Granted, I don't spend huge chunks of time on it except for rare occasions, but that should give you some idea of what you're up against. Oh, and I started with a very clear list of things I wanted to solve and why my approaches were advantageous.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

You still don't even know what problem(s) you are trying to solve. Unless and until you can name a concrete area in which your language will be different, you're just scrabbling around in the dark. And unless you can argue convincingly that that language difference is an advantage, nobody will ever care.

I started building a new programming language eight years ago. It still is far from finished and lacks even the most basic tools like a debugger. Granted, I don't spend huge chunks of time on it except for rare occasions, but that should give you some idea of what you're up against. Oh, and I started with a very clear list of things I wanted to solve and why my approaches were advantageous.

i see that (you) replied on one 2007 article on how to make debuggers.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

ultramailman, on 18 Feb 2014 - 4:32 PM, said:

Are you planning to write a compiler for this language you have in mind?

Yeah. An ide.
Won't i have to?

You won't have to. But it might be good to try writing a compiler for a simple and existing language first. After that, you should have more insight.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement