Just another thought (designing a fast but powerful language)

Started by
76 comments, last by Aardvajk 10 years, 1 month ago

I wanted to ask this in a previous thread but I thought it needed it's topic.
Would it be possible to make a compiled language as fast as c and c++, multi paradigm like c++, less complex than them both and can be used like in really complex situations like in making an OS/game engine/IDE etc.
Just wondering (may have mistakes above).

Thanks.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Advertisement
Yes. I am sure proponents of go and D would claim their language fits the bill.

Absolutely.

Whether or not any existing languages (such as the above-linked go and D) already meet most of those requirements is pretty subjective; we can obviously measure execution speed for code solving similar tasks, but what qualifies as "less complex" and what qualifies as "really complex situations" really depend on the skills and preferences of the programmer.

If you were thinking about starting such a project from scratch you should expect it to be very difficult, to take a lot of work, and to take quite some time to have anything workable; creating your own language (even if it's just a toy language) is however an excellent learning experience that's well worth undertaking at some point if you're interested in the low-level details of programming.

//EDIT: Please try to give your topics more meaningful titles; "Just another thought" tells a potential reader absolutely nothing about what they made find, so I've edited the title of this topic to be more descriptive.

- Jason Astle-Adams

//EDIT: Please try to give your topics more meaningful titles; "Just another thought" tells a potential reader absolutely nothing about what they made find, so I've edited the title of this topic to be more descriptive.

thanks for changing the title.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Java and D seem a lot like C++ (java involves more typing) and Go like C.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

Please don't ever compare Java to C++ again. It hurts me deep in my soul. :p

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Please don't ever compare Java to C++ again. It hurts me deep in my soul. :p
;)

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

Absolutely.

Whether or not any existing languages (such as the above-linked go and D) already meet most of those requirements is pretty subjective; we can obviously measure execution speed for code solving similar tasks, but what qualifies as "less complex" and what qualifies as "really complex situations" really depend on the skills and preferences of the programmer.

If you were thinking about starting such a project from scratch you should expect it to be very difficult, to take a lot of work, and to take quite some time to have anything workable; creating your own language (even if it's just a toy language) is however an excellent learning experience that's well worth undertaking at some point if you're interested in the low-level details of programming.

i probably will undertake a project like this. I just feel like some things are more misunderstandable than they should be and there should be a better way.
Yersterday, i read an article saying that ruby/python programs involve 5x less lines than c and c++ programs. What does this mean?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

Of course it would be possible but weather or not it is feasible or even productive is another matter.

Of course it would be possible but weather or not it is feasible or even productive is another matter.

by reducing the number of lines required to do something.
Which is why i asked about what 5x less means (i don't want to misunderstand it).
For instance, gta iv contained about 50,000 which included lines and comments. What if the need for the comments (not all) where reduced because you could tell what a piece of code does by taking a glance at it (even by some beginners) and some extra code and extra typing will not be needed thereby enabling you do things faster, increasing productivity.
You *could* reduce the line count by more than 10,000 (maybe).

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement