Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

silhouette rendering

This topic is 5887 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I am using silhouette rendering and cel-shading in my game to make it look cartoon-like. To speed up my code I use triangle strips to simulate lines, because my card does not have hw-acceleration for lines. That''s why I have to determine myself whether a triangle is front-facing the camera or not. But that doesn''t work well, it seems like it is a little inaccurate of I am using the wrong coordinates. Here is my code: First the transformations: VERTEX Vt; // the camera is behind the player Vt.x=3.0*sinyrot; Vt.y=3.0*(float)sin(lookupdown*piover180); Vt.z=3.0*cosyrot; // calculate translations and rotations. xtrans = -xpos-Vt.x; ytrans = -yheight-1.35f-Vt.y; ztrans = -zpos-Vt.z; sceneroty = 360.0f - yrot; // Rotate and Translate glRotatef(lookupdown, 1.0f, 0, 0); glRotatef(sceneroty, 0, 1.0f, 0); glTranslatef(xtrans, ytrans, ztrans); then the backface-stuff in the drawing routine: int backfacing(VERTEX v,VERTEX n,float x,float y,float z) { VERTEX v2; v2.x=v.x-x; v2.y=v.y-y; v2.z=v.z-z; float l=sqrt(v2.x*v2.x+v2.y*v2.y+v2.z*v2.z); v2.x/=l; v2.y/=l; v2.z/=l; float DOT=Dot(v2,n); return (DOT>0.0); } Call the function: if(backfacing(trigz[2].midpoint,tris[trigz.ID].normal,-xtrans,-ytrans,-ztrans)) draw outlines What''s wrong?