Newbie here!: Looking for good Game Dev sites/book to start with

Started by
20 comments, last by buttnakedhippie 10 years, 1 month ago

Since you mentioned your class covered some HTML, and you want to make programs for the mobile marketplace, you might consider taking a look at HTML5. I was at the recent Apps-World conference and a recurring theme was people creating their games and apps in HTML5 so it can easily be used on any mobile platform - as long as the phone can run a web browser it can run your app. Sure it might not run as fast as apps written in the native language for each platform, and you might not be able to take advantage of platform-specific features, but I would be willing to bet that, as a beginner, HTML5 would suit your needs quite well for years.

As for books, I've been reading through the Head First C# book and I'm really liking it so far - there's one for HTML5 and Javascript you might check out.

Advertisement

Since you mentioned your class covered some HTML, and you want to make programs for the mobile marketplace, you might consider taking a look at HTML5. I was at the recent Apps-World conference and a recurring theme was people creating their games and apps in HTML5 so it can easily be used on any mobile platform - as long as the phone can run a web browser it can run your app. Sure it might not run as fast as apps written in the native language for each platform, and you might not be able to take advantage of platform-specific features, but I would be willing to bet that, as a beginner, HTML5 would suit your needs quite well for years.

As for books, I've been reading through the Head First C# book and I'm really liking it so far - there's one for HTML5 and Javascript you might check out.

Thank you for your input. I actually went ahead and purchased a book covering C#, but I'm planning on trying to tackle a few languages by the end of the year.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement