new

Started by
14 comments, last by Godmil 10 years, 2 months ago
Hello there,
I am completely new to game development, although I used to code with VB(I know that has nothing to do with game dev). Anyway, I am very keen on the idea of making a 2D isometric based city game for andriod. I have searched for other questions similar to mine but all the answers seem to be for those with basic coding exp and I pretty much have none with c++, JAVA or html 5. So could anyone give a quick, simple step by step on where to start i.e software, ideal coding language or even links to good but simple tuts. I know this will be a heafty project for someone with no experience within game dev but i have alot of free time on my hands here and very keen to dig in.

Thank you
Advertisement
Html is the easiest language there.
*edit* Java for android

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

*edit* really sorry, i didn't see the android part

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

The obvious language choice for Android development is Java, since that's the intended language for development. You can use the NDK with C++ (and other languages if you know them and don't want to learn Java) but there are far more choices if you stick with Java.

The best place to start is Google's Android Developer site. There you can download the SDK and the ADT plugin for Eclipse (which I've always had most success with for Java development, but NetBeans is also recommended).

You might also want to look into libgdx which is a cross platform Java game library that can be used to produce games for Android, iOS, Desktop and HTML5 applications.

Html is the easiest language there. If you want to use c++, get the jumping into c++ book, the cplusplus.com pdf and any more recent book. I usually see c++ primer.

. . . and download visual c++ or code::blocks.

You still need to learn how to read the questions you are attempting to answer. The OP wants to develop for Android and has basically no experience in programming. C++ is an extremely poor language choice under those circumstances. Visual C++ and Code::Blocks are both also poor IDEs to use for Android development.

Hi

I recommend not to use C++. you can try why the hell not.

I recommend to use C# or any high level programming language.

You can also use Game Engines like Unity3D to create a mobile game for Windows Phone/iOS/Android.

And you can create a game for Mobile and Web by using AS3 or Haxe only Haxe is more powerfull.

HyperV

Html is the easiest language

wow i really deny that try and make a Valid HTML page :P

Html is the easiest language

wow i really deny that try and make a Valid HTML page :P
Html was the first language i learnt (under 3 weeks). I didn't go really deep but i can make a html page (with seo) :p .

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

There is a very similar post sitting right next to yours on the forum. I responded to that one before noticing this one, but the answer applies equally well. Go read it.

Thanks for all your replies everyone. Okie dokie, I think I'll give java a look and I downloaded Unity a couple of days ago and heck, I had no idea what to do with it...I'll defiantly give it a more in-depth look though. Whats really bugging my mind is how to actually create the 2.5D isometric map(like tiles or blocks). I have seen and read that adjusting the main camera in Unity to certain angles (30, 45 i think) gives the illusion, but when I attempted it somehow it wasn't same as guided. For some reason I really want to get this off my chest before I dive into anything else really.

Whats really bugging my mind is how to actually create the 2.5D isometric map(like tiles or blocks)

I've recently been playing around with isometric. I have been rendering the scenes in 2D, and using individual tiles, placing them correctly to give the illusion of 3D:

[attachment=20044:isoLandDemo.gif]

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement