Bragging rights

Started by
7 comments, last by KingPin 22 years, 5 months ago
I was curious is there a (free) windows line counter to counter the number of lines in my project (:D bragging rights). BTW: I''m using MSVC 6.0, if I missed this feature, just smack me upside the head, really!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers." - Bernhard HaischReactOS
Advertisement
If you are really bothered just stick the cursor at the bototm of each .cpp and .h file in your project and read of what number line it is and add them together, boring but works!

http://kickme.to/BallisticPrograms
http://www.downloads.com/

Search for 'Line count'

There's three or four programs there..

Vex / Aeonian.net Developer
---------------
http://www.Rock-Nights.com

Edited by - Vex on October 31, 2001 4:49:56 AM
Vex / Developer---------------Graphic RealityG4MES.netAvailable for freelance J2ME work.. :)
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/program/kloc.htm

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Bragging rights as in you want the least amount of lines for the work done, right?

--
Supercytro
-- Supercytro
quote:
Bragging rights as in you want the least amount of lines for the work done, right?

hehe, well if I could write a killer game in 1 line, I don''t think I''d get paid anything.

It''s just nice to analyze how much lines you can prduce a day or week. Figurin hi bugdget projects have close to a million lines of code, how long would it an independant contractor (thats me) to do that?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers." - Bernhard HaischReactOS
quote:hehe, well if I could write a killer game in 1 line, I don't think I'd get paid anything.

If someone could write a killer game in one line, I'll hire them on the spot for technical ability... and then fire them the next day, since there are no comments

quote:It's just nice to analyze how much lines you can prduce a day or week. Figurin hi bugdget projects have close to a million lines of code, how long would it an independant contractor (thats me) to do that?

The majority of project code are comments. I'd say about 30-40% comments. Then, a fair proportion is due to implementation design for managebility.
Honestly, the amount of lines is inconsequential generally, except for the "gosh, I did all that" factor, which is not to be understated at times, especially after project completion.

--
"Had a Salmon Day? You've all had one - a day when you spend all your time swimming upstream, only to get screwed"

Edited by - supercytro on October 31, 2001 5:38:44 AM
-- Supercytro

Code Counter - By Steven Vallis (Copyright © 2000 ForgeWare)

Just a little program I knocked up in about an hour that will count how many lines of code you have written for a project. It basically just looks in a directory that you specify and counts how many lines there are in any .CPP .HPP .C and .H files found in that directory.

Hope someone other than me finds it half useful.

* Version 1.1
Added preliminary VB support and character counting facilities.

* Thanks to
Fredric
Spiff
CGameProgrammer
LackOfKnack
Kavos

Above you see the readme.txt of a program that was discussed some months ago in one of the gamedev.net forums...
works fine for c/c++ and vb projects...
unfortunately I don''t remember the download link...

------------------------------------------------------------
"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."
------------------------------------------------------------"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."
Well, you can write an entire game in one line with comments.
just don''t use any whitespace =P

Though, by having your code be made up of comments, there can be drawbacks. For example, if u decided to change a certain feature and you forgot to change the comments then you''ll end up with rubbish that would only serve to mislead than to clear things up.

So make sure you remember to edit your comments or cut back on the comments. I think comments that explain the general intention of the code is sufficient.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement