Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
doyleman77

I don't get c++11.

This topic is 1783 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

I have been programming C since long before C++, and C++ since it's birth.  The standard has evolved a lot, and it's just trying to keep up with the innovation happening elsewhere, in other langauges.

Honestly, lambda's are simpler to manage than function pointer declarations.  As with most things, it's simple, it just won't seem that way until it does for you.

I don't like some of the additions; things like auto and decltype are not expanding the capability of the language, but only helping some become more comfortable with it.  I fully expect a day where two expert C++ coders can write code that the other cannot understand :-)

I don't like some of the additions; things like auto and decltype are not expanding the capability of the language, but only helping some become more comfortable with it.

Even though I agree that these are not adding up to the language, comfort plays a really important role when learning a language. I lost account of how many times I've seen people asking for help when their problem was simply misusing and 'misdeclaring' iterators... This kind of problem adds a lot to the learning curve and features like auto will help anyone who is just starting.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!