Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
justcolorado

Valve's "source" engine

This topic is 1790 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I never hear anyone talking about Valve when discussing which game engine to use.

And I couldn't even really figure out what the terms were from their website.

Apparently the engine is Free if you buy any game built on it.

So basically for $9.99 I just buy half life 2, and then I have a complete access to royalty free use

that engine to build a game?  

Or is this just a modding tool, that a game can't be built with?

Advertisement

"You can't sell your creations without negotiating (buying) a license from Valve."

That pretty much clears up my question for me.  

"UDK, Unity, Oblivion, C4, and many others had "easy to use" as part of their design philosophy."

I am learning UDK for 4 months now, and still haven't explored at least half of the features.

if that platform is easy, I would hate to see what hard is.  

Seems like this could be great option for when I reach a level somewhere much further than I am today.

Thanks guys

cool.png

Edited by JustColorado

It isnt THAT complicated, it isn't perfect however, they love to "update" the engine and break every single mod out there, then promise a fix, and take their damn sweet time to fix it (you better just figure out how to hack around the problem). Then you do have to negotiate a license whenever you finish your "mod", usually that happens after you manage to get greenlit on their greenlight section. If that happens you'll have to shell some big cash upfront (havok license) and get to terms with valve on how to pay for their engine (probably another cut from sales, the first being from steam).

It is a nice engine to work with if you are a beginner to game programming that already handles c++. If you cant handle c++ however then, well, learn it...

You'll need a team or be a one man army though, it has an art pipeline you have to learn afterall.

Edited by gia

It may be worth pointing out that TheChineseRoom are currently porting Dear Esther from source to unity after being stung by an unexplained per-platform licencing fee by a third party whose software is a part of source. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!