How did you learn C++?

Started by
31 comments, last by assainator 10 years, 1 month ago

I'm just curious for when I move from C# to C++ and what might help.

Advertisement

I started a implement a FE-solver + UI in c++ as my first c++ project ( 2001 with MFC, not the best choise as a first project I have to say ).

So I had a target, motivation and a hard timeline. Then I looked into the concepts provided by c++ which seem to be the best approach and played around with it until it worked.

In my experience it is much easier to learn a new language with a real project than just reading a book. You can transfer the stuff you read into a real solution which solves a real problem. And you can lear how the toolchain works.

Hope that helps ...

Kim

A complicate solution may indicate a not understood problem.

[twitter]KimKulling[/twitter]

C++ is not that hard in dos time. When I learn pascal and then move to C++, it's not that different. Because in Pascal u still can use OOP...

But things get so headache when windows release! To write a hello world app (with form) , it need 100-200 code line...No internet, only thick book, that really scare me. Sometime I just type 1-> 2 page of code then run to see what it really does.

Now it's a lot more easy, we have tons of sample, tutorial on net, that no need to type anything at all, just build and see what happen !

C++ is not that hard in dos time. When I learn pascal and then move to C++, it's not that different. Because in Pascal u still can use OOP...

But things get so headache when windows release! To write a hello world app (with form) , it need 100-200 code line...No internet, only thick book, that really scare me. Sometime I just type 1-> 2 page of code then run to see what it really does.

This is the difference between learning the language and learning to use an API. Win32 API is horrible, yes, but learning Win32 API is little to do with learning C++, since it is a C API.

Its better when learning the language to concentrate on a simpler API, such as the standard library methods for console input/output.

Now it's a lot more easy, we have tons of sample, tutorial on net, that no need to type anything at all, just build and see what happen !

This is not a good way to learn a language IMHO

I bought Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 24 hours. Probably it wasnt the best book..... (It was the only available book in the shop).

With it and xoax.net (video tutorials), I was finaly able to compile and run my applications.

I used the lessons to learn how to program and then I would apply my new knowledge by building something small.

As I got more confident, I started making my own text based games. The book became a reference when I got stuck.

Like Kimmi said, its much better to learn something by appling the knowledge to a project.

Start small with console based applications to concentrate more on the standard library and the languange.

I haven't learend C++ yet, but I first read accelerated C++ about 10 years ago.. After that I've read lots of C++ and programming books, got a computer science degree and have been working with C++ for 4 years now.. I'm also reading lots of articles.. Thats the great thing about it, always something new to learn :)

this is equivalent to i've learnt how to read, highlight text, browse the net and use ctrl+c and ctrl+v very well!

C++ is not that hard . . .

it may not be hard but it can get confusing.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

At university I bought Visual C++ 1.0; must have been 1993. By that time, several printed manuals (10 or more) were included, one of them containing a very well written introduction to C++ (from C to C++).

I learned the language by reading tutorials, articles and editing examples from the internet. Also trying out some small things is a good idea from time to time. But I think the way of learning greatly depends on the person. But I think learning how to learn using the internet can be a very useful skill, even if it may take longer.

I tried to learn C++ on my own twice in the 90s and I failed miserably. Then I got a job where C++ was used and I learned it relatively quickly. One thing that helped a lot was having access to a C++ guru down the hall. Oh, and nobody cared that I didn't know C++ in my job interview: My interviewers were satisfied because I could solve problems and I could program in C.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement