• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

plazma

a quick question all.....

This topic is 5212 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, just wondered if any of you guys can answer this quickie.....Game companies copyright their games and their characters etc, why is it that fan games are allowed that make use of the same characters etc. An example of these is Zelda and Sonic fan made games. thx in advance

Advertisement
Are these fans distributing these games for money?
&
and do they make any of these character''s look bad?
if no to both then, i personally don''t see why they couldn''t be allowed to use these characters.

or maybe nintendo and sega just don''t know.

these games are all free, and the characters are exactly the same, like they''ve just taken a ss of the characters and backgrounds and used them in the games.

thx

quote:
Original post by plazma
Hi, just wondered if any of you guys can answer this quickie.....Game companies copyright their games and their characters etc, why is it that fan games are allowed that make use of the same characters etc.

They asked.

The fans make a request for permission to use the characters and adhere to strict guidelines. Simple.

If that were true they would be swamped with such requests lol, there''s quite a few sonic fan games and several zelda fan games, which is one I am hoping to design, a lot smaller than the commercial versions with modifications, only thing really that I wanted is to call the character link, and the place hyrule, thats more or less it, everything else will be different, and it will be free like all fan games.

thx

I don''t think you can violate copyright if you are freely distributing a game.

You can protray the character in the worst light possible but at the end of the day it''s your right (freedom of speech and all that) and since your not making money from it your not classed as a competitor. If your not a competitor then copyright can''t effect you.

I suppose there might be problems if you are copying game data (sprites and stuff) due to intelectual property rights. But if your taking it from a screen cap or your own drawings (no matter how exact), i don''t think they have any ground for complaint.

Lastly, i can''t see the big N trying to sue a bedroom programmer for this stuff anyway. It''s bad publicity, and nobody likes that.

zipless

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by zipless

You can protray the character in the worst light possible but at the end of the day it''s your right (freedom of speech and all that) and since your not making money from it your not classed as a competitor. If your not a competitor then copyright can''t effect you.

I suppose there might be problems if you are copying game data (sprites and stuff) due to intelectual property rights. But if your taking it from a screen cap or your own drawings (no matter how exact), i don''t think they have any ground for complaint.

Lastly, i can''t see the big N trying to sue a bedroom programmer for this stuff anyway. It''s bad publicity, and nobody likes that.

zipless

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by zipless

zipless

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!