Where should start?

Started by
6 comments, last by aregee 10 years, 1 month ago
Hello, I'm interested in making small battle simulator games. If I ever get good enough, I may want to make my own mmo.

After playing many jrpgs I can't resist making my own. I've come up with ways to make these kinda games fun, yet fair.

I have many ideas I want to express but I know that I need to learn a lot about programming. However, I have absolutely no idea where to start.

I don't know anything about programming, but I've done a little maya. But I realized that it's going to take too much time to make 3d games.

I know a little how to draw so that kinda got me inspired me to make 2d games.

Please I need your help. I have absolutely no idea where to start. I heard about people learning bad softwares and having to relearn everything with a new one. I don't want this to happen to me.

Thanks :) By the way, how diiferent is the process of making an rpg, orpg, and an mmorpg?
Advertisement

your not going to be making a mmorpg anytime soon, if at all.

you need to learn a language, take your pick, c# etc before you do anything. then work on a basic game such as pong before you even start thinking of anything else

1: Learn how to program. Python is a good place to learn the basics [LINK]

2: Next learn the basics of computer game creation [LINK]

3: Decide were you wish to go from there.

This will not be easy. It can take years to learn complex game programming.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do you know if c++ or Python is better to start out with for what I'm doing?

If so, you may suggest the best learning guides for it. (Youtube, book, ect.)
http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

your not going to be making a mmorpg anytime soon, if at all.

Making a massively multiplayer online game is generally considered taboo for a single developer, as it requires a lot of development and physical servers to pay for. BUT this shouldn't discourage you from working up to making a small multiplayer game, something that only needs to handle less than 20 or so players at a time, which could be run off a small linux box in your basement.

This could be a goal for the long run, it will take you a few years to get to a point where you will be able to program something with networking involved.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

Before you do anything, you need to learn a language as said above. Choosing what language is a bit difficult, but python is a good place to start. It will introduce you to programming, and how stuff works, It's okay if you don't remember everything, no one expects you to do that, there are many online resources that will help you get started in python. and you can always go back and reference those resources in case something you don't get makes no sense, and you really need to understand it.

One thing you have to make sure not to do is overwhelm yourself, and don't think you know what there is to know, because everything is constantly changing. take SDL for example. I had SDL 1.2 down, but it was updated to SDL 2, and while it's simple to update, it's still a lot of learning to go through.

It is indeed possible to make a MMO-ish game, depending on how you define "MMO" going solo: http://www.quelsolaar.com/love/index.html

I am sure it require a certain kind of person, But given enough time and patience and knowledge, the right person would be able to pull it off. Don't picture anything like World of Warcraft alone, though. It is still possible to make something simple in my opinion. Just have a plan and work slowly. Don't underestimate the amount of work. It will take years, and you won't make the new WoW.

EDIT: Here is an article about this, that shares my view on this: http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/multiplayer-and-network-programming/building-a-3d-mmo-using-websockets-r3392

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement