My goals! Programming trajectories.

Started by
4 comments, last by Nathan2222_old 10 years, 1 month ago

I am new to programming pretty much, some of my goals are: To make eventually a FPS in crysis, that perhaps being long off, I'd like to develop some programming skills before that. So where do you recommend me start? is starting with several 2d projects a good idea? What engine is most suitable for this?

I guess a possible plan would be: 1. C# and unity (Make several games.) 2. learn Lua for Cry engine.

Should I learn more languages?

Tell me what you think of my plans. Any tips will also be appreciated.

Thanks smile.png

P.S how do you make your own game engine? what is commonly used for this?

Advertisement

Why are you so set on cryengine? It is an excellent engine, but it is intended for use by large game studios, which is why the license cost is $1.2 million.

Learning C# is a good choice, and unity should be a good tool for diving right in to game development. You should be able to work with unity for a long time before you will need anything like cryengine.

After you get very comfy with C#, learning other languages will be fairly easy.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

I guess a possible plan would be: 1. C# and unity (Make several games.) 2. learn Lua for Cry engine.

I don't really understand the focus on CryEngine; you're quite a way off from being able to leverage it well and you're too inexperienced to even know if you really need anything it offers. It sounds like you're only looking at it because its popular.
Learn C#. It's a great first language. Unity is also a great tool for building games; that would be a good thing to learn as well. Get some basic programming experience with C# under your belt working on simple thing so you understand the basic concepts, then try your hand at making a game with Unity. Then re-evaluate your educational goals and plans at that time. There's little point in setting too firm a stake so far in the future -- lots of things will change by then.

Should I learn more languages?

Eventually. Good programmers know many languages. But for now, focus only on one.

P.S how do you make your own game engine? what is commonly used for this?

You build it with a programming language and related tools just like you'd build anything else. Don't worry about making engines now; that is a topic that is beyond your ken right now. You need to have built at least a few games to have a good idea of what actually needs to go into an engine. Make games first.
Good luck!

I was under the impression that CE3 was available for only 20% of the particular game developer's revenues! I suppose Unity is what you pretty much only need, although I would definitely enjoy seeing it become as robust as CE3 in terms of general capability (I don't know anything about engines,but unity hasn't supported a game like crysis, as far as I know.)

This really simplified things for me, so thank you.

Do you have any other tips/resources apprpriate for a beginner?

Thanks Josh Petrie for the very informative post. Sounds like a sound plan! C# and Unity!

Why are you so set on cryengine? . . . to be used by large game studios, which is why the license cost is $1.2 million.

That cost isn't definite. Even their forums don't know the price (or at least they don't want to share) and on the licensing page, "we have several licenses".
Cryengine was the first engine i actually thought would work for my ambitious games. After joining their forums, it was clear that it had seriously weird problems that no "AAA" engine should have.
@datamachina: it could be 20% or more because unlike unity or unreal which have their indie licenses clearly stated on their licensing page, they expect you to contact them and you do this once you have a working game. Imagine you contact them after spending 6 months working on the game and they tell you the license is $500,000 :(. They don't have a place on the net that clearly states the price for indie devs and last time i checked, the info was, "we are still working on it".

Unity and C# is definitely the better choice (at least until you get $500,000 - 1.2M for source code access).

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement