data compression

Started by
37 comments, last by iMalc 10 years, 1 month ago

where does the information that you took out when compressing data go?

this question just let me discover a better definition of the term data compression than the messed one I had(LOSSLESS COMPRESION)

when data is compressed, the data is moved from the dimension of space into the dimension of time

nws2mOY.png

this should be the principal definition of data compression

what do you think?

Advertisement
I recommend you watch this video, it gives a good and easy to understand introduction:

After that you can find more detailed videos on the same channel.

Rattenhirn

the video doesn't has a clear definition and is a mess too explaining data compression

and that's my point with this post

if information cannot be destroyed nor created then what does really means data compression?

Is there a philosophical background in this question? With respect to data compression, information can be destroyed simply by leaving it out, so that the receiver cannot reconstruct it. Creating information is meaningless when assuming that the original information was sufficient and complete. Creating more information from a given fixed knowledge base means to generate redundancy what is meaningless to the amount of information.

Lossless compression means to encode information in a way that needs less data in the space dimension to represent the information as before. It just reduces redundancy. Lossy compression accepts the loss of information that is deemed to be unimportant.

haegarr

"information can be destroyed simply by leaving it out"

you can't prove that, was there information before you were born, is there going to be information after you die?

I will expand:

data compression means to move data from the space dimension to the time dimension...

So how do you move data from space dimension to the time dimension?

You can't...

what can be done is take various different data that is already in time dimension, then combine it in space dimension to get the time data representation of the data in the space dimension, like this

7Z4rR4c.png

or I could use another clock that has a default 111011

what do you think?

haegarr

"information can be destroyed simply by leaving it out"

you can't prove that, was there information before you were born, is there going to be information after you die?

Hence my question whether there is a philosophical background in your question! My post states that the given answer belongs to data compression (as found in computer science), and that is done on a defined set of information give to a consumer. The consumer is then the instance that assess the received information.

JPEG compression destroys data because it is a lossy compression algorithm

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

"destroy"

I don't think that's a good word, it should be "replace"

replaced by a repetition

Information exists on some kind of storage (being it brain memory, a piece of paper, a hard disk, …). Data as I understand it here is a representation of information. Data compression is a way to choose another (comparable) representation with less amount of space. If the compression is lossy, then some of the information isn't stored in the result compared to the original data. But the original data may still be stored elsewhere and hence not globally lost. However, the instance that has the compressed data as the only source of information about the given topic simply knows not so much as the instance having the original data did. From its point of view some information is lost if it is aware that lossy compression has occurred. At the end, if all storages with the original data are erased (the person is dead, the paper burned, the hard disk demagnetized, …), some information is lost definitely.

I do not discuss esoteric things like time traveling here. Information is something that can be retrieved, or else it has no meaning.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement