C++ IDEs for Linux

Started by
34 comments, last by fluffybeast 9 years, 12 months ago
I'm developing a set of arcade games to put into an arcade machine I'm designing. I'm using Eclipse to develop everything, and it's got quite a few projects in the workspace: Engine, Launcher, Game1, Game2, Game3, etc. My Engine and all of the game projects are built as shared objects, and all projects use Engine as a dependency project as it handles all of the OpenGL/AL stuff under the hood. The problem is, I keep running into headaches with Eclipse on my Debian development computer:
-Vague/obscure errors (I keep getting "Error 1" with no further information whenever something happens in the Engine library)
-Some classes in the Engine project are unrecognized, even when they're in the same header/source files as recognized classes when calling them from projects outside of the Engine project
-Engine appears to rebuild itself every single time I make a change in any project, but the changes aren't always reflected, so I have to manually Clean/Refresh/Build each project

I think it's better to try a different IDE at this point. I went through a tricky episode trying to get Eclipse to play nice with the NDK so I could get a simple Hello World app to compile using my engine as a shared library for the OUYA. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Advertisement

I use Code::Blocks. The IDE on its own is already pretty nice, and the community has produced some awesome third-party plugins.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

QtCreator is pretty popular. Its a fully fledged C++ IDE and you get extra tools to work with Qt if you want to.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Another vote here for QtCreator. Its by far the best IDE I've used for Linux. And don't be confused, "Qt" in the name does not mean it only works with Qt. You can write raw C/C++ with QtCreator as well.

I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code.

QtCreator is one of the best IDEs everywhere. It's second only to Visual Studio (and In some ways, it surpasses even Visual Studio.)

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

My hands down favourite is KDevelop.
Before finding KDevelop I had tried:
* Code::blocks
* codelite
* QtCreator

I haven't looked back since switching to it.

Stop twiddling your bits and use them already!

KDevelop looks beautiful! This is the first time I've heard of it. Tell me, is it as "bloated" as Eclipse?

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

KDevelop looks beautiful! This is the first time I've heard of it. Tell me, is it as "bloated" as Eclipse?

Well, you need to install all the KDE libraries (which is a lot of crap you're barely going to use). But the thing itself is just native C++.

I mean, if 10 years from now, when you are doing something quick and dirty, you suddenly visualize that I am looking over your shoulders and say to yourself "Dijkstra would not have liked this", well, that would be enough immortality for me.

-Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I would also vote for QtCreator. KDevelop is nice but not really suited to cross-platform development (not everyone wants to install the whole KDE on Windows)

I would also vote for QtCreator. KDevelop is nice but not really suited to cross-platform development (not everyone wants to install the whole KDE on Windows)

That's what CMake, Premake, QMake, etc. are for.

With that said, CMake and Premake don't support generation of project files for KDevelop or QtCreator, whereas they do support Code::Blocks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement