could someone help me on what to do? i have a little experience with c# c++

Started by
6 comments, last by Bacterius 10 years, 1 month ago

I was wondering what i should do to start making simple operations such as games, im gonna be taking an intro into programing, adv. programming and a web page design classes soon, any suggestions?

Advertisement

Choose a language; I'd recommend C# or Python normally, but in this case you should probably choose the same one your classes are going to teach you. Learn basic programming. This will likely involve making programs in a console-based, text IO format for some time. The simplest game you are likely to be making early on is a "guess the number" game in a text console environment, which can be done with a few simple programming constructs and iterated on fairly well.

C# is not really great for cross-platform. So depending on your platform you could also choose D or a similar language. But like Josh said it's probably the best to use the same language as the course will be using. But it's never bad to know multiple languages, so just choose the one you like the most. :)

Definitely follow Josh's advice. He knows a thing or three.

C# is not really great for cross-platform. So depending on your platform you could also choose D or a similar language.

I challenge you to name a modern gaming platform with which you can't use C# but with which you can use D. There's no good reason to steer new programmers away from C# and towards any niche languages. smile.png

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

I challenge you to name a modern gaming platform with which you can't use C# but with which you can use D. There's no good reason to steer new programmers away from C# and towards any niche languages. smile.png

All C languages are very, very similar. I said C# is not really great for cross-platform because there is only good Windows support. There are many large frameworks for C# aside from the (awesome) .NET framework but this is limited to Windows. Except if you use monogame but the performance is a lot worse.

If you are interested in Visual C++ MS VS pro 2010-2012 you may try NeHe's demo and codes OpenGL summary

All C languages are very, very similar.

Sorry if this is OT, but I can't leave it at that.

I use C# at work, and C++ in my hobbyist game projects. And I can tell that these languages are very, very different. Generics vs. templates, garbage collection vs. explicit memory management, the whole concept of collection classes...

There are many large frameworks for C# aside from the (awesome) .NET framework but this is limited to Windows.

I'll just leave this here. Even if you don't end up using C# for games it's an extremely valuable skill to have when it comes to general programming especially right now as it is a stupidly popular language, so by discouraging someone from learning it in preference to D (which is far more niche, as Sean rightly pointed out) you're really not doing them a favor. Now of course you can - and should - learn both, in fact as many languages as you can is best, but obviously "knowing" a language doesn't amount to knowing the syntax and answering interview questions. To be really fluent in a language you have to code a lot in it, that takes time, and let's face it - time is limited, time is expensive, time is valuable. Prioritizing is crucial unless you have the luxury of infinite time of your hands, which most people don't.

Also, OP: games are far from simple. In fact it could be argued that nontrivial games are up there as one of the most complex types of commonly-developed software around.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement