Started by
31 comments, last by ChrisPepper1989 10 years, 1 month ago

while(developing software)
{
research (a little)
code(a little)
test(a little)
}

very interesting piece of code - I am using it too, though this a little is sometimes a bigger step than a little, research takes the bigger amount of time, code seems paradoxicaly a less important [though maybe am overusing research against the code and should code more? dont know,

test is also very important becouse it involves also a design iteration often

could maybe someone say how this above scheme looks like in his personal case ?

Advertisement

Come on guys, I can't believe nobody told him the most important thing...

Yes, you need to practice, solve some coding puzzles and understand every single mistake you do to learn from it.

But never forget one of the most important thing for a programmer: coffee! TONS and tons of coffee!

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

Come on guys, I can't believe nobody told him the most important thing...

Yes, you need to practice, solve some coding puzzles and understand every single mistake you do to learn from it.

But never forget one of the most important thing for a programmer: coffee! TONS and tons of coffee!

Or tea!

20+ down-votes incoming!

Hello to all my stalkers.

Or tea!

20+ down-votes incoming!

*finger hovering over vote button*

Ice Tea (+1) or normal Tea (-1)? Think carefully before answering. angry.png

Ice Tea (+1) or normal Tea (-1)? Think carefully before answering.

Uhm... Yes?

*Puppy eyes*

Hello to all my stalkers.

You have to study hard and you must find some good tutorials

There really is no shortcut to becoming good at anything,

Set yourself realistic goals and keep a steady but achievable curriculum.

Surround yourself with persons who are better than you at whatever you want to learn.

Never become satisfied with your skillset and don't snub your nose at other people's ideas.

After all, how are you going to learn something new when all you accept are opinions you already hold.

Throw yourself out there and don't be afraid of failure.

Read and study others code.

As someone that is learning myself and have only been at programming for a little over 18 months, I have found that the best way to gain skills the fastest is simply by coding as much as you possibly can. If Unity an C# are what you prefer to work with than start by learning how to program with C#. There is no reason to start with anyother language than the one you wish to work with to learn how to program. Later after you have learned C# and become comfortable with programming then learn another language is you so wish.

Now in my short time as a new commer to programming I have begun to learn both C++ and Python languages. I have been looking for a suitable game engine that will not break my bank and am now looking at Unity and C#. My classroom of choice is at http://www.gamertogamedeveloper.com/. O have just discovered this through Steam. It fits my learning style and should be suitable, along with the free books I have found on the internet on C# programming. Do not let the learning curve dismay you from continually pushing foreword with your coding skills. Just think that every line of code that you create on your own and is not just code that you have followed will help your skills grow. Learning a programming language is the easy part to programming. The hard part is figuring out the logic of your programs. Knowing when to and where in your program you want to put a while loop. Or if you have your class object built the way you want it. For me I spend the most time figuring out what my errors are and fixing them. My point is like the shoe company says "Just do it".

Besides what has been said already, working on a team, interacting with more experienced and also less experienced programmers also helps learning stuff in my opinion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement