Programming Textbook?

Started by
21 comments, last by Nathan2222_old 10 years, 1 month ago

The only other books I can think of that were useful for a while were Effective C++
. . .
. . . teaching C++0x when C++11 is out

C++0x and C++11 are the same thing.
I haven't checked effective c++ yet.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Advertisement

Debugging seems to be an area that books (and many college courses) don't cover. A series of dodgy programs and debugging exercises could be helpful in a book.

Best book I have probably read was "Advanced Windows" by Jeffrey Richter. It's old now. Lot's of information and a few gags too "Funcenstein, FuncNFurter, FunclinDRoosevelt" etc. instead of foo/bar ;)

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Good point shifter. I really like Codecademy, but if I could have something like that as a software that would be perfect. They had debugging examples in there too. I was doing a lesson in JavaScript and I felt like I was actually getting the kind of practice one needs. I was learning the info while using it.

Now that I think about it, I am officially convinced that I should keep the book brief.

I am liking the reference book idea too. I want it to be brief yet full (usually how my tutorials are).

If anyone has any more feedback or ideas, please post. I might do the book and the wiki too. I don't know if it will take a whole course.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Having admitted to being unable to use modern IDEs, along with all your other examples of being rather inexperienced, do you honestly think you are the right one for the job of writing yet another How To Code book?
I know I can write a good beginners programming book. Enough to make someone comfortable with programming and working with APIs.

I have actually made a tutorial that teaches the basics in about 7 minutes. Most of the ideas come from that tutorial.

http://snapguide.com/guides/understand-computer-programming

I don't go into much detail as far as syntax, so I thought a book was a good way to elaborate.

I actually have the beginning of the book on my ipad right now. It is a convenient resource for myself, so I figured others might like it too, although I want it to be a good resource for beginners.

I just see so many beginners tutorials that are not for beginners.

Tell me what you think about that tutorial. I need more feedback from more advanced programmers, I have cleaned up some of the words for the book.

I stopped at the slide that said:

"I once saw a program that was a WHOLE PAGE LONG that made an object follow the cursor. I did the same thing with ONE LINE OF CODE! And it was faster."

Move along, nothing to see here...

Had a quick read of the slides. Im certainly no expert but definitely proof read them as I saw some spelling/grammar mistakes which should not be present. Your explanation of inheritance was pretty useless as you only half mentioned what it is and no expansion at all. Also that slide that explains a while loop is completely lost on me (maybe I just dont get it but the sentence doesnt make sense to me). Your use of "Hahas" and things like that make it seem quite childish. Maybe thats what you are going for but it doesnt look right. Just a few things.

Thanks Walsh for the feedback. That guide was informal. I corrected the Hahas in the book. Each step is limited to a certain amount of characters, so I can't really elaborate without making the guide too long. Guides are supposed to be a "snap" thus "Snapguide."

All of the grammar stuff is fixed in the book also, including the funky use of CAPS.

There is no bold nor italics for Snapguide yet.

I stopped at the slide that said:

"I once saw a program that was a WHOLE PAGE LONG that made an object follow the cursor. I did the same thing with ONE LINE OF CODE! And it was faster."

Move along, nothing to see here...

It's true. Haha. The program was about 5 lines, but the sequence was one line.

Whole page in 12pt font.

Thanks Walsh for the feedback. That guide was informal. I corrected the Hahas in the book. Each step is limited to a certain amount of characters, so I can't really elaborate without making the guide too long. Guides are supposed to be a "snap" thus "Snapguide."

All of the grammar stuff is fixed in the book also, including the funky use of CAPS.

There is no bold nor italics for Snapguide yet.

Fixing for the book is good but surely you want this guide to be usable too. Even with limited characters you can explain a while loop in proper english.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement