Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nPawn

Making a square visible from the front and back

I''m currently making a square with four points, then putting a wall texture on it, I move the wall to the left side and it looks great, i move the same wall over to the right side, and a lot of the square appears to be missing, i assume it''s the backside that''s now showing and somehow isn''t being textured properly now? Here''s a screenshot of it, including the code that makes the walls square:

Yah, the wall is visible when i go on the other side of it. I just read this in the SDK docs, about trianglestrips (which is what i''m using):

D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP
Renders the vertices as a triangle strip. The backface-culling flag is automatically flipped on even-numbered triangles.

the problem is, how do i turn that backface culling off for just this wall structure? It doesn''t point me in a direction on how to do that?

You can turn off or reverse the culling mode by specifying:

m_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_CULLMODE, mode);

Where mode is one of:

D3DCULL_NONE //No culling, all triangles rendered
D3DCULL_CW //Clockwise
D3DCULL_CCW //Counter Clockwise

I suspect you would find your problem fixed if you turned off culling, but you might not like the results (except maybe for debugging purposes) because of the performance hit. A better solution would be to adjust the order in which you are specifying your vertices so that they match the current culling mode.