Friends List bug

Started by
13 comments, last by LennyLen 10 years, 1 month ago

I'm not sure where the appropriate place to post this is (if anywhere). I logged on today and had a friend request from Mikéhl Johnson:

http://www.gamedev.net/user/218538-mik%C3%A9hl-johnson/

Going to his friends list, I see that he's added either 280 or 28,000 friends... The friends were only displaying one item per page, but the index looked like it was expecting 100 per page.

I can't tell why he added me as a friend. It looks like this guy is just adding random people. I see some 100 rep, faceless contacts among his list.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Advertisement

I accepted...I always need more friends. It makes up for the obvious flaws in my character such as alienating my friends :).

596 pages of potential friends on his friends listing does seem a little astray of "working as intended" though.

I accepted...I always need more friends. It makes up for the obvious flaws in my character such as alienating my friends smile.png.

596 pages of potential friends on his friends listing does seem a little astray of "working as intended" though.

How? I didn't get to accept, it just notified me that he had added me as a contact and suddenly I had a new entry in my own contacts list wacko.png

Or did you mean "I accepted" as "I did not instantly delete him from my contacts"? tongue.png

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

How? I didn't get to accept, it just notified me that he had added me as a contact and suddenly I had a new entry in my own contacts list

Or did you mean "I accepted" as "I did not instantly delete him from my contacts"?

Nope gave me the option to add him as a contact, which is the only way I know of to accept a friend invite. Definitely wasn't an automatic automated acceptance...except maybe the entire gdev membership invite he seems to have stumbled onto.

How? I didn't get to accept, it just notified me that he had added me as a contact and suddenly I had a new entry in my own contacts list

Or did you mean "I accepted" as "I did not instantly delete him from my contacts"?

Nope gave me the option to add him as a contact, which is the only way I know of to accept a friend invite. Definitely wasn't an automatic automated acceptance...except maybe the entire gdev membership invite he seems to have stumbled onto.

Hmm, must be a hidden option in the account control panel somewhere I guess. I'll try and hunt it down tomorrow if nobody has found an explanation before then.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Hmm, must be a hidden option in the account control panel somewhere I guess. I'll try and hunt it down tomorrow if nobody has found an explanation before then.

Same thing happened to me. Looks like there is a "contact approval" checkbox in profile settings. I just checked mine.

Holding steady at 596. At first I thought the bug was that the friends list is only displaying 1 result per page, but the paging is expecting 100 results per page. The first few pages only have 1 result while the last few pages have none. But at least some of the pages "in the middle" have a full 100 contacts.

http://www.gamedev.net/user/218538-mik%C3%A9hl-johnson/?tab=friends&st=6100

He has way more than 1,000 friends in less than 2 days, so it looks like he's hacked the "add a friend" feature and wrote a program to iterate through all the profile id's.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Jes hes my new friend to, and he has registered that day and has 0 messages.

His site is about audio, something i can do myself, so i realy dont need sounds from anyone.

I guess i have to remove him, i dont know.

Maybe they wanto some audio from me ? hehe.

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

he hasn't added me as a friend=-(....and i auto accept.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Looks like hax to me he also tried to add me... no posts and no message = no friend accept. Looks like a spambot?

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

Is anyone else seeing the display error Eck mentions where the "friend list" only displays a single entry per page? If anyone who is experiencing this could let us know their browser version and OS it would be a big help, as I've been unable to replicate it so far.

As for how this member is adding so many friends, I'm not sure, but we'll take a look at it -- as it is, adding another user as a contact doesn't really provide him with any special access or abilities that he doesn't have otherwise, so it's relatively harmless. I'll certainly keep an eye on the account for any more malicious behaviour though!

Please "report to moderator" if you receive or see any spam from this or any other member and it'll be handled as promptly as possible.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement