Removing warning point.

Started by
5 comments, last by jbadams 10 years, 1 month ago

Can some moderator take the warning point away from this account?

Rest assured that if a standard account is misbehaving it will be judged; imposingly, the moderators may abuse of their privileges and will feel immune.

Admin note: The following tags (which played a large part in this topic being rather poorly received) were removed from this topic during a clean-up of the tagging system: warning, point, points, moderators, became, status, quo, arrogant, Sloper, unbearable.

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600, 2.4 GHz. 3GB RAM. ATI Radeon HD 3400.
Advertisement

Us regular members can't see the warning points of other people. They're for the mods and staff information, and your information, only. Ironically, this thread served the purpose of informing us all of your warned status, something I wonder if you really intended to do. What'd you do to get the warning? Was it spam?

Can some moderator take the warning point away from this account?

Rest assured that if a standard account is misbehaving it will be judged; imposingly, the moderators may abuse of their privileges and will feel immune.

i would say remove the post vote thingy.
Just an opinion.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

i would say remove the post vote thingy.
Just an opinion.

Are you kidding? The downvote button is sheer brilliance. The visible reputation score is even better. Really gives you a sense of how full of shit someone is. I hope they don't change a thing.
I could, or I could issue a further warning to you for the inflammatory choice of tags. I presume that you're just a bit irritated and needed to get this out of your system, so I'm going to let this slide.

Take a bit of time to think, and should you still feel you were treated unfairly, please get in contact with another moderator or member of staff.
It looks like that particular warning point might have some database weirdness behind it. If there is a good reason for it to go away, it will be tracked down.

If it came from something else (like a warning for some type of inappropriate behavior, spamming, or abuse) those warnings generally have time limits associated and will automatically expire after a few days or weeks.

Your choice of tags, though, is interesting. Insulting the people you are asking for help seems a little unhelpful to your cause.

Your warning points are only visible to yourself, moderators, and members of staff; other regular forum members are not able to see them. Under normal usage they are accompanied by an explanation -- you should receive a private message from the moderator issuing your warning, and if a warning point is currently active you can click it to also view the explanation in your warning history.

Warning points are almost always temporary and will automatically expire after a certain amount of time -- most typically less than one month, and often only a couple of days. Common reasons for a warning include abusive or anti-social behaviour, spamming (assuming it isn't bad enough to warrant an immediate ban instead), or excessive cross-posting or topic-bumping after a less formal warning has been ignored.

There was a problem however with points already applied to some user accounts when we upgraded to the current forum system a couple of years ago; the explanation accompanying these warning points is no longer available, and the points do not automatically expire.

The warning point gasto is asking about was one of these, and it has now been removed from his account. Any other users who have similar warning points may also have them removed simply by politely asking; you can either respond to this topic with your request, post your own similar topic in this forum, or contact a moderator or member of staff directly.

@Nathan2222: This topic is unrelated to the reputation system (what you referred to as "post voting").

@gasto: I've removed your warning point -- you only needed to ask politely. I assume you were just venting, but the odd way in which you asked at your odd selection of passive-aggressively-offensive tags really didn't help your cause -- you might want to refrain from insulting the people you're asking for help in future.

To respond briefly to the implication of your selected tags, we're very happy with our large team of volunteer moderators. Many of them are experienced industry professionals, or experienced professionals from other related fields, and they all volunteer some of their precious free time to offer advice and help out our regular members.

This is a grown-up forum where both regular members and forum moderators are allowed to express their opinions, and to disagree with each other as long as no rules are broken, but if you have a problem with any particular moderator you can have any individual decision reviewed, or the overall conduct of that moderator reviewed simply by contacting any other moderator you're comfortable with, by contacting one of the senior moderators (washu, swiftcoder, or myself) or an active member of staff (Gaiiden, mtanczos, or myself). Moderators can and have been issued with their own warnings if they over-step the mark.

I can also see from your tag selection that you appear to have singled out Tom Sloper. Tom can sometimes be a little blunt, but dedicates a lot of his free time to helping others and always tries to offer helpful advice, and personally I think we're very lucky to have a seasoned industry veteran (with a whopping 86+ titles shipped!) advising beginners free of charge. I have also seen that in a couple of instances where he misunderstood a question or incorrectly ventured a guess to answer a question he wasn't really familiar with Tom happily posted to apologise and retract his original statement; hardly an arrogant act as you seemed to be suggesting.

Anyone else with outstanding warning points held over from the old system:

Unfortunately there's no (simple) way of automatically detecting and removing these points, and given they're completely harmless we don't want to waste developer time and effort on a solution, but all you need to do is ask politely and we'll happily remove these points for you.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement