does a dll much differ to a lib?

Started by
27 comments, last by Paradigm Shifter 10 years, 1 month ago
The library file is not ready to be loaded into a process, because memory addresses for functions and variables are not completely filled out.

The DLL is ready to be loaded into a process, because the linker took care of those addresses.

What more do you want to know?
Advertisement

The library file is not ready to be loaded into a process, because memory addresses for functions and variables are not completely filled out.

The DLL is ready to be loaded into a process, because the linker took care of those addresses.

What more do you want to know?

you mean the inport and export tables? I dont know how exactly this works but both lib and dll had a import and export tables afaik - the difference is that linker resolves that at link time and dll loader at load time, but im curious if there is some more difference in dll inner structure over lib inner structure

As you already asked about the format in an earlier thread, and were already given links to the PE/COFF formats, it is frustrating.

On the one hand you are declaring "I want to understand the depths of compilers and linkers, and maybe even write my own that works with the major systems".

On the other hand, you are complaining about having to actually read and understand the answers.

so both lib and dll are coffs... (?).. both has import and export tables od symbols... (?) what is the difference..

Perhaps you should reread the references given in the discussion from 8 days ago. It answers those questions.

As you already asked about the format in an earlier thread, and were already given links to the PE/COFF formats, it is frustrating.

On the one hand you are declaring "I want to understand the depths of compilers and linkers, and maybe even write my own that works with the major systems".

On the other hand, you are complaining about having to actually read and understand the answers.

so both lib and dll are coffs... (?).. both has import and export tables od symbols... (?) what is the difference..

Perhaps you should reread the references given in the discussion from 8 days ago. It answers those questions.

wehere it answers the question, and how the answer looks like?

giving a reference to documentation is not too much good answer

(this way any question from the c++ can be pseudo answered by link to the standard, same with opengl to opengl specs etc etc)

People ask on the forum often to get a specyfic answer, so i am asking, maybe there is some man experienced in disasemmbly to the extent that he can just answer that - if no there is not a death weight problem, i will be searching in google and someday ;/ i probably wil get the answer somewhere (sooner or l8er) (sadly it will be probably later ;/)

Depends on the question, doesn't it? In some cases referencing documentation is a good answer. Based on my scan through the PE/COFF specification there are quite a few differences between lib files and dll files. It's not just like one simple difference. The many differences are spread out over the entire specification. It's a bunch of "object" this and "image" that (image refers to files like exe and dll files). I looked for other explanations and descriptions of the PE/COFF formats and they didn't have the detail you seem to want. It would probably take you less time to read it yourself than for most of us to write down a satisfactory explanation. Hence our suggestion you read it yourself. If you don't understand some parts you can ask and people will help with those specific parts. But your question isn't specific enough to be good to answer directly, IMO

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

wehere it answers the question, and how the answer looks like?

(this way any question from the c++ can be pseudo answered by link to the standard, same with opengl to opengl specs etc etc)

People ask on the forum often to get a specyfic answer, so i am asking, maybe there is some man experienced in disasemmbly to the extent that he can just answer that - if no there is not a death weight problem, i will be searching in google and someday ;/ i probably wil get the answer somewhere (sooner or l8er) (sadly it will be probably later ;/)

Is it just me, or are you really *demanding* a spoon-fed answer, AND lecturing other users - the same users who went out of their way to give you links relevant to your question? To top it off, you "threaten" to google for an answer, which is *exactly* the homework you should have done in the first place?

You are not entitled to an answer, and you are not entitled to other people's time.

Im just assuming that someone know the answer and can just answer it without making any kind 'hysteria' and going off-topic instead of answering on topic.. but it showed im wrong here ;/ (as often there are pseudo answers from people who cannot answer so they only can talk read the google - its common i know it well - but it is not what i m looking for - simply)

The articles linked initially in this thread take time and effort, if you are willing to give something back for it then just offer some kind of incentive(PS4 console or Unity licenses.)
The fact that they recognized legitimate and well explained articles turns them knowledgeable. They have no obligations writing books or internet articles for you.

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600, 2.4 GHz. 3GB RAM. ATI Radeon HD 3400.

Im just assuming that someone know the answer and can just answer it

Sure. The answer is "yes". They're completely different formats.

Im just assuming that someone know the answer and can just answer it

Sure. The answer is "yes". They're completely different formats.

why, what inner things makes them different ? (I will be studying coff but it is not so fast to do)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement