Beginner's Linux Questions

Started by
15 comments, last by stefu 22 years, 5 months ago
quote:Original post by stefu
Thanks for all, it works NOW it works!

Actually it doesn''t work but it compiles perfect now!

Glu was not installed properly. MandrakeUpdate was not able to install, there was some conflice (maybe because I tried to install manually first :D).
But then I found Package Manager that did the job (checked overwrite).

It compiles but doesn''t run!

What does these mean?

XF86VidModeExtension-Version 2.1
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0"
Only Singlebuffered Visual!Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0"
glX-Version 3.1073833568
Segmentation fault

I''m I missing some drivers? I have GeForce2 MX400.
Who prints ''Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0"'' and why?Other lines are in lesson08.c (not the Segmentation fault )

This is going to be harder that I thought
kiitos jackz!

"also you should get some more information about linux in general." I agree!
I''m learning all time, it''s just one day I installed Linux and now I''m learning Linux graphics programming! LOL, But I have programmed much in Win32 (good or bad?).

You do not have nvidia drivers. If you want to use GLX you need them. HW acceleration do not work without them.

Go to www.nvidia.com and get linux drivers. Get tar files and use then. They are easier to use and install than rpm''s (in this case). Read the readmeinstallguide, and then read it again
before trying to install.

;jackz
Advertisement
Well, I am glad you are not giving up on Linux,

you might want to try installing the nVidia drivers for Linux, they are at www.nVidia.com
before I did, I couldnt run OpenGl Apps eighter, make sure you can run open GL apps before trying yours (the bugs might not be in your code) I really recomend getting the Loki Demos package (http://www.lokigames.com).
There are only one set of tar-files but many rpms for different distributions and versions. Are rpm packages distribution and version dependent, But tar.gz can be used in any ristributions?

I have to use tars because there isn''t rpms for MD8.1.Maybe I''ll print the readme & installation guide before installing. I already read it but I must have it on my hands while installing.

I have to print it in windows because I haven''t found Canon LBP-800 drivers for linux, are there any? Mandrake pages told that they are not available. Do you know if LBP-800 is compatible with other Canon printer drivers (LBP-1000,...)? I tried some drivers available but printer was quiet all the time.
I recomend getting the source RPM's (SRPM) and rebuild them with rpm --rebuild as explained in the readme, thats what I did for my RedHat 7.2 Box, I think that since there is a package system in the Distribution, everything will work better if you install as much as you can as a package (and it will save you from manually configuring stuff), so I usually only get tars for the programs that there is absolutelly no way to get a RPM for (like OpenAL or the ALSA (sound) drivers)

the rpm's dont really have to do with the distributions, it has to do with the kernel version you are using, so installing a RPM for a distribution other than yours will not work, even if you have the same distribution version, but upgraded it's kernel, the rpm for that distribution wont work, might even break your system (at least your X Windows)

Edited by - kwizatz on November 1, 2001 5:35:44 PM
Thanks!

What is the difference between these twoo sets?

Any RPM-based system with an upgraded / customized / non-default kernel
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-1541.i386.rpm
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-1541.src.rpm
Source RPMS are provided here for those interested
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-1541.src.rpm

The NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-1541.src.rpm is same for both, the NVIDIA_GLX differs.Which one is good for MD8.1? I haven''t touched the kernel yet.
Jahuu! It works. (I know because I saw NVIDIA logo at x-window startup)

Also Nehe Lessons work now. Thanks for alll!
Well, the only problems were that I couldn''t save XF86Config-4 using vi-editor. But I was brave and started x, modified it and rebooted. Next time nvidia was present!
Finally I can concentrate on programming!
quote:
Any RPM-based system with an upgraded / customized / non-default kernel
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-1541.i386.rpm
Source RPMS are provided here for those interested
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-1541.src.rpm

Well, the GLX package, is (more) generic, and you can install it on any distribution, the "kernel" package is not as generic, this is a kernel module, sort of the core of the driver, and it needs to be compiled using the current kernel headers (and source?), and since not everyone has the same kernel version, you have to compile or "rebuild" your oun package from sources, thats why the src.rpm is the same for both, if you rebuild/recompile the GLX src.rpm package, you end up with the same i386 package they have for download.

Glad you have your System Running, Have fun!.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement