I need a Simple IDE for practicing programming.

Started by
19 comments, last by Tutorial Doctor 10 years ago

It would definitely be very convenient to have one that can compile several languages, but I didn't expect as much. Is there one? I am going to try some of the ones suggested here when I get a chance.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Advertisement

Everything new thing has to appear bloated because they are new, synfig studio being the exception.
You'll soon start making your non-bloated software ;).

Haha, I have actually used synfig studio, it is rather bloated. I guess the word I should say is cramped? And you are right, I should say "from my point of view" because it might not be the case to someone else. Although, when comparing it to something like Scite (interface wise) it does look a bit much "to a beginner I guess." hehe.

It is good to have features, and I am sure Apple took a little more care than others about which features they included, and I am also sure those extra features help things get done faster, but I just want something less intimidating for now.

I guess I was being a little definitive.

It would definitely be very convenient to have one that can compile several languages, but I didn't expect as much. Is there one? I am going to try some of the ones suggested here when I get a chance.

Zeus IDE. Just found it on google and according to their site, it's language neutral, windows based, simple, lightweight and oh, 20 MB.
Synfig studio is truly bad. It doesn't even have an eraser tool and all those ugly windows are everywhere.
*edit* after more searching, it isn't just according to their site. Zeus IDE has built-in support for more than 20 programming languages (C++, C, D, Java, Ruby, Python, Lua etc.), includes syntax highlighting, can be configured for your language and is more than 5 times smaller than Visual C++ Express at just 20MB.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Just curious... is Code::Blocks considered bloated?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Thanks Nathan, I am downloading it right now. It is much simpler than Eclipse. This setup is exactly what I was looking for. I will try it out.

Edit: well, it is free to try software. If I can't find anything free, I will see if it is worth the purchase.

Downloading QtCreator and Code:Blocks right now. Thanks folks!

The first time I used eclipse I didn't know that much about programming, so perhaps it got me. The second time I used Eclipse it was with the Android SDK (a whole lot of extra stuff I didn't know how to use), so perhaps that got me too.

I need to try Eclipse again too. We will see. Thanks again.

QT Creator is looking like a winner...

Thanks Everyone, I am going to go with QtCreator I think. It will help me get used to working in a larger IDE, and soon I might need those extra features. Thank everyone who posted.

Just a note: QtCreator is excellent, my IDE of choice and what I use for everything these days, Qt and non-Qt alike. But if you are looking for an out of the box, install and start building solution it isn't it. You either have to learn to deal with Qt's .PRO files or write your own make files.

I wouldn't normally bother warning someone about this as two minutes on Google is normally enough to figure it out, but since the tone of the thread seems to be "Everything is so bloated and hard for beginners", its worth mentioning. The advantage of Visual Studio, for example, is it is a case of install and start coding. Normally.

Thanks Aardvajk for the tip. I download Visual studio (the express version I think) and it did look nice, but I had to create some sort of account or something. I wasn't ready to do all of that. I don't even know what make files are (I probably do, but I can't remember what they are), so that is how new I am. hehe.

Good confirmation about QtCreator. I think it is going to spoil me. haha. I keep jumping around from one programming language to another so a "one stop shop" is the best IDE for me, so long as it just lets me get right to that blank empty page and test my code. This is one of the reasons I like Python's IDLE program. It is actually the perfect IDE for me (although it was sorta strange setting it up). I wish other languages had similar IDEs, or at least one IDE had a setup like IDLE but could compile various languages.

Learning the tools is a significant part of the battle unfortunately. I still think there is benefit with C++ to start at the command line, at least until you have a decent grasp of the compilation and linking process. An IDE can make more sense when you understand what it is doing for you.

But I'm a grumpy dinosaur so others would probably disagree. Best of luck anyway.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement