developing a small jigsaw puzzle game

Started by
3 comments, last by PuzzledMan 10 years, 1 month ago

Hello all, can someone plz guide me on what i need to develop a simple java puzzle game. as far as i got from google , to be able to develop this i'll need JOGL which is really vast. i am very new to 2D graphic and i have limited time which is why i cant go through the trouble of exploring and testing everything.

my question is what should i master to develop this simple java game ?

i am a fast learner, someone please point me in the right direction. some tutorials, links or books will be highly appreciated.

Thanks smile.png

Advertisement

Hi PuzzledMan,

I think firstly that this post probably belongs in the 'For Beginners' section, which is also a good place to start ! :)

You say that you are new to 2D graphics, but you don't mention if you are new to programming ? - Have you experience with Java already?

If not, then a firmer knowledge on the basics of programming would be a great place to start! Not saying that you cant learn through game programming - just maybe it would be better to focus on one aspect at a time. If you are familiar with programming, and maybe you could try something like SMFL first to get a better understanding, or even GameMaker.

Im sure there are plenty of Java library's that would be easier for making games to start of with then opengl, but i don't really use Java - so im afraid i cant help to much

Google "Game State Management Java" or something along the lines of being similar. Game State Management is an abstract idea that you should get into the habit of grasping earlier on. This idea will apply to how to get your game objects(such as your jigsaw pieces) to move on a 2D graphics context or canvas.

Understanding the behavior of the coordinates of the graphics canvas you are working with. This concept will guide you in getting your jigsaw pieces to move correctly.

Google "Game logic Java" and "Game loop Java". Without this knowledge, you won't have a game.

Google "Loading and drawing images java". Without this, the player has no frame of object reference of what is going on in your game.

What kind of Jigsaw puzzle are you talking about? Do these pieces have weird sizes that needs to somehow click correctly with the other pieces with weird size? If so, this just another layer of complexity that you need to plan out before you code the actual game. Or are these pieces all squares?

Rather than code your jigsaw puzzle piece, I recommend Pong. It is far more realistic of a project to complete than the jigsaw puzzle given your level with 2D graphics that you stated.

I don't like to list tutorials because:

1) It does not facilitate thinking. It gives all the answers away which will hurt you big time in learning.

2) You won't lecture yourself or question what you are doing when you are programming a simple game.

3) You will not write your own code.

4) You will lose sight of the big picture.

But I did list keywords that comes up commonly in game development that applies to simple and complex games. So these ides will guide you in making Pong. You will need to struggle with it. i certainly did but I got better every day.

While game play is important, the flow of getting the game menu to transition to game play and vice-versa is just as important because it will make you appreciate the game as a whole package.

Hi PuzzledMan,

I think firstly that this post probably belongs in the 'For Beginners' section, which is also a good place to start ! smile.png

You say that you are new to 2D graphics, but you don't mention if you are new to programming ? - Have you experience with Java already?

If not, then a firmer knowledge on the basics of programming would be a great place to start! Not saying that you cant learn through game programming - just maybe it would be better to focus on one aspect at a time. If you are familiar with programming, and maybe you could try something like SMFL first to get a better understanding, or even GameMaker.

Im sure there are plenty of Java library's that would be easier for making games to start of with then opengl, but i don't really use Java - so im afraid i cant help to much

yes, i am java literate :)

too bad u dont use java though, thanks anyway :)

Google "Game State Management Java" or something along the lines of being similar. Game State Management is an abstract idea that you should get into the habit of grasping earlier on. This idea will apply to how to get your game objects(such as your jigsaw pieces) to move on a 2D graphics context or canvas.

Understanding the behavior of the coordinates of the graphics canvas you are working with. This concept will guide you in getting your jigsaw pieces to move correctly.

Google "Game logic Java" and "Game loop Java". Without this knowledge, you won't have a game.

Google "Loading and drawing images java". Without this, the player has no frame of object reference of what is going on in your game.

What kind of Jigsaw puzzle are you talking about? Do these pieces have weird sizes that needs to somehow click correctly with the other pieces with weird size? If so, this just another layer of complexity that you need to plan out before you code the actual game. Or are these pieces all squares?

Rather than code your jigsaw puzzle piece, I recommend Pong. It is far more realistic of a project to complete than the jigsaw puzzle given your level with 2D graphics that you stated.

I don't like to list tutorials because:

1) It does not facilitate thinking. It gives all the answers away which will hurt you big time in learning.

2) You won't lecture yourself or question what you are doing when you are programming a simple game.

3) You will not write your own code.

4) You will lose sight of the big picture.

But I did list keywords that comes up commonly in game development that applies to simple and complex games. So these ides will guide you in making Pong. You will need to struggle with it. i certainly did but I got better every day.

While game play is important, the flow of getting the game menu to transition to game play and vice-versa is just as important because it will make you appreciate the game as a whole package.

thanks for your guidelines warnexus

i am pretty much set on the jigsaw :P

like i said, i can learn realy fast and i cant explorer every google's posibility as i have limited.

i am also among the people who cant work on smething unless i have understood the logic behind.

Details about the Jigsaw, its just a regular one, rectangular tiles with tongues e.g. :

below is where my current status is, unfortunately without any help i managed only to add a tongue (both female and male) . Derived from oracle's website tutorial and i used only UNION and SUBTRACTION of several shape to manage to do it. (though it works for any side length and scale itself accordingly.

a better implementation idea will be warmly welcomed or a cutting algorithm, on mathematics forum they keep talking about cutting algorithms but i haven't came across even 1 so far.

SAMPLE.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement