Site Stability Read more... ×
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kaktusas2598

Is learning 3D modelling for programmer is TIme Waste?

This topic is 2055 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, currently I am creating mario clonr game with SDL 2.0 and plan to create 2D RPG with SDL. After that I plan to learn some 3D game engine(Mayvbe Unity or C++ based, cause I use C++ mainly - u recommend me variant :) ) and then OpenGL.. And I am thinking if learning some 3d modelling soft like Blender for creating models for my future games is worth my time. Considering a fact, my dream is to be game programmer. Could 3D modelling skills is worth learning for my start as indie developer? Thanks, for any responses :)

Advertisement

It's worth your time. It's helpful in creating test models. It's helpful to understand what your artists are actually doing. It's helpful to be able to test tweaks to artists' work. It's helpful to be able to work with prefab content. And eventually, it's helpful to be able to script these tools to output extra data needed for a graphics engine.

Aaaand its helpful to understand the awful amount of talent and work that you need to put on a model for it to look good. Which is an insta +1 to your "Perspective of things" skill.

Thank you all for responses, I really aprreciate then. Now I think having free time after uni (studying Computer Engineering) I will pick some Blender tutorials at official Blender site (http://www.blender.org/support/tutorials/) and after that I will try to combine these skills with some engine or straight away with OpenGL. Can u guys recommend me some good C++ game engine? I was thinking about Unity 3D(I know it is not C++).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!