Is learning 3D modelling for programmer is TIme Waste?

Started by
22 comments, last by SteeleDriver 10 years, 1 month ago

Don't let it distract you from your goal to become a programmer, but modelling is a skill worth learning on the side. The tools for the modelling process are reasonably priced these days and the process is well documented.

Makes for a good hobby! ^_^

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Advertisement

Thanks, for responses :) That would u recommend me to learn after blender for creating full 3D game? I was thinking either jump to OpenGL and hard-code everything, or first try to use engine such as Ogre, learn engine principles and after that dive inti OpenGL... Which option would be better? I eventually plan to start learning OpenGL in max one year period.

Deltron Zero and Automator.

You'll need to decide whether you want to program games or graphics. With Unity you have an api specifically for developing games, whilst OpenGL is a long established graphics api standard.

Saying that, would it not be possible to use SDL with OpenGL?

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Yes, I could use SDl for Windowing and Input, OpenGL for Graphics and Blender for models :) I dont want unity because it's not C++ based.

Nope. The more expansive your toolset, the better.

I dont want unity because it's not C++ based.

God I want to smash my head off a wall everytime I read something like this.

Why? :) I am comfortable with C++ and want to use tools what are oriented with it, is it bad?

Why? smile.png I am comfortable with C++ and want to use tools what are oriented with it, is it bad?

In some cases, no. In most, especially in beginner game forums, yes.

I dont honestly know your skill levels, or reasoning behind preferring C++, so in your case it might make perfect sense.

In the majority of cases I read something like that, its generally a person making decisions using knowledge they dont possess (group/hive think at it's best). In many, possibly most cases, the programming language of choice should be among the least important factors on choosing an engine. Now, requiring a C/C++ interface so you can expand the engine, that makes a lot of sense for a pro dev studio, but frankly Unity has that.

Why? smile.png I am comfortable with C++ and want to use tools what are oriented with it, is it bad?

I also dislike it.

C++ is just one tool. Some people are content with just one tool in their toolkit. These people typically do not excel.

Personally I recommend that beginners pick up five languages, the most critical being C++, Java, and C#, the less critical being Python and Perl. I also recommend you pick up a few other side langauges along the way, such as HTML, JavaScript, SQL, HLSL, or whatever interests you.

I have seen people who recommend developers continue to learn at least one new programming language every year, which seems a good pace to ensure you are constantly exposed to new ideas.

In some recent threads about what people dislike about their languages, I saw most of the dislikes gravitated toward features that were less-frequently used in games but frequently used in other industries. Though I routinely use around 10 languages, am fairly expert in three languages, and over my career have worked in probably around 50 different languages, I don't DISLIKE any of them. Each of them is a tool, each designed for some set of goals. The tools were designed to solve specific problems. If one tool is inappropriate I can trivially switch to another that is better. If no tool is better suited, I can easily build my own.

The industry has more than enough people already who feel their partial understanding of C++ is enough to see them them through the apocalypse, they need no more languages. These people are currently struggling to maintain relevancy, either that or struggling to learn additional languages.

Personally I recommend that beginners pick up five languages, the most critical being C++, Java, and C#, the less critical being Python and Perl.

Perl?

Is it just a matter of a character building exercise? ;)

This would make an extremely interesting meta-thread. What five language would (experienced) developers recommend (new) developers learn...

Off the top of my head I think I would go, in order...

Lua, C# or Java, JavaScript, a functional ( LISP, F#, Scala, others... ) language, C++. I might swap C++ and the functional language in priority, but I honestly think the experience of learning functional programming would make for a better rounded programmer than C++, especially after having learned Java or C#. However, as functional constructs are added to C# ( and to a lesser degree Java and C++ ) , the value of learning another language just to get your head around functional programming loses a great deal of value.

That said, I dont consider many domain specific languages in that list. For example HTML, CSS, SQL, HLSL... I suppose I should, but really, those are the kind of things you learn as you use/need them. At the end of the day, if I had a time machine and could go back and alter the way I learned things I would have a) spent a lot longer in BASIC or PASCAL before moving on b) learned LISP earlier before my brain developed into a C formed mindset. Also kinda wish I learned Smalltalk, but every time I tried, the tools and performance on consumer hardware was just appallingly shitty.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement