Is learning 3D modelling for programmer is TIme Waste?

Started by
22 comments, last by SteeleDriver 10 years, 1 month ago

A beginner should focus on learning fundamental skills that are transferrable rather than attempting to "learn" as many languages as they can. Same goes for 3D packages.

For example, if a programmer does not make efforts to eliminate fluff in their code,nor comment or test it, then that weakness will continue to prevail in the next language they learn. True, a new language can show similarities and differences between previous langugages, but they will remain a sloppy programmer harrassed by unnecessary compiler errors and runtime bugs. Chances are they will grow frustrated and blame their language and tools rather than their weak skill and lack of training.

This is also true for 3D artists; If a beginner does not create or collect enough reference material, nor spend time implementing good topology, then they will remain a poor modeller.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Advertisement

Frob, I agree with u, but I do not consider myself a beginner programmer, because I have been programming since 14 (7 years now), and I am fearly comfortable with C++, Python, Java, Javascript, HTML and CSS, SQL, Matlab, a little less with C#. Thank you for advices, I will keep in mind that :)

Deltron Zero and Automator.

Have fun with the 3D stuff Kaktusas, if you do decide to pursue it. And if you do go with Blender then I'm SamusDrake over on BlenderArtistis.org. Feel free to drop me a line if you get stuck.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

One recommendation I would give on this:

Don't get too bogged down into the details. If you want to be the Programmer, just get the basics down on the art tools. Don't spend too long on them.

I can say this from experience. Just get a good skeleton of the art work done ya need, then get an artist who has artistic talents to do the full work lol.

It is real easy to get sidetracked into trying to create the art work when you are not the "Artist". This takes away time that could be better spent coming up

with game features / fixes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement