Is learning 3D modelling for programmer is TIme Waste?

Started by
22 comments, last by SteeleDriver 10 years, 1 month ago

Hello everyone, currently I am creating mario clonr game with SDL 2.0 and plan to create 2D RPG with SDL. After that I plan to learn some 3D game engine(Mayvbe Unity or C++ based, cause I use C++ mainly - u recommend me variant :) ) and then OpenGL.. And I am thinking if learning some 3d modelling soft like Blender for creating models for my future games is worth my time. Considering a fact, my dream is to be game programmer. Could 3D modelling skills is worth learning for my start as indie developer? Thanks, for any responses :)

Deltron Zero and Automator.

Advertisement

Could 3D modelling skills is worth learning for my start as indie developer?

Of course. There are going to be times when there wont be an artist around, or times when you are in a quick situation where you need to get something done fast. Also you might want some quickly made "placeholder" assets to use while the modeler is working on their more detailed version. Do you need to become and expert? Probably not, but some basic skills should serve you very well.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

Even if you are doing indie games you will probably be on a (small) team. In a professional capacity you will be on the same team with artists developing a game...even if all you are doing is coding it always helps if you can better understand your co-workers jobs and needs. And obviously at some point you'll need to be able to get the art assets that 3d modellers make into the game itself...you'll have to code/support the tool chain that handles that. Making 3d models yourself and getting them into a working game engine is a good way to better understand that process. If nothing else you can make a few models and then write code to parse the files into vertex (position, normal, texture coords for example) and index buffers for OpenGL.

It's worth your time. It's helpful in creating test models. It's helpful to understand what your artists are actually doing. It's helpful to be able to test tweaks to artists' work. It's helpful to be able to work with prefab content. And eventually, it's helpful to be able to script these tools to output extra data needed for a graphics engine.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I come from a 3D modeling background, and I have used plenty of software. I am just now getting into programming (wish I had done this earlier).

I can say that my knowing 3D modeling was the perfect prerequisite to me being able to actually create a nice looking game. In the past I have actually learned video editing in Adobe After Effects, as well as making music in Reason 4.0 and Garageband. I learned how to do art a long time ago.

All of these abilities are perfect for being able to make a game by myself. However, to make a full polished game, it seems you just have to have other people. And if you are going to end up having other people eventually, you should go ahead and pick your specialization. I would suggest learning at least something about it though, so you can have a better understanding of what the people you perhaps might hire to do it really have to do.

I have a tutorial on the basics of what 3D modeling is:

http://snapguide.com/guides/understand-3d-modeling/

Guerilla CG has some good introductory videos also:

Videos

I was looking through the videos, and it seems Andrew Price loves the videos.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

It certainly is worth your time. On the worst case, you create your own programmer "stand in" art. In the best case, you are one of those rare individuals that can do both art and code.

I made a tutorial ( as a primarily programmer ), about creating game art in Blender, and I am certainly no artist, so hopefully it shows what can be done ( this is the end result of the series ). The mastery part, thats the work of years, but you can become quite functional in a relatively short span of time. When I saw tutorial, I suppose what I mean to say is, small novel...

It's worth your time. It's helpful in creating test models. It's helpful to understand what your artists are actually doing. It's helpful to be able to test tweaks to artists' work. It's helpful to be able to work with prefab content. And eventually, it's helpful to be able to script these tools to output extra data needed for a graphics engine.

Aaaand its helpful to understand the awful amount of talent and work that you need to put on a model for it to look good. Which is an insta +1 to your "Perspective of things" skill.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Basic 3D modeling courses are required of all computer science students at the school I went to (DigiPen). At least one very large and quite well-known game company in the Seattle area (I don't feel it would appropriate to name which one publicly) have sent a large number of their engineers to modeling training courses put together by DigiPen just to make sure all the programmers knew how to use the tools (and the reverse for artists, so they have at least a high-level understanding of what engineering games is all about).

Our programmers have to use Max all the time. Some just to know how to make or modify test content without being blocked waiting for an artist. Some because their job requires them write Max plugins and integrate Max into the art pipeline tools. Some have to consume art-driven data into the gameplay mechanics, hook up physics information, or so on and have to know how it all works. Our programmers aren't building real content that is going to ship in the final product, but knowing the basics of how to use the same tools our artists use is invaluable.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Thank you all for responses, I really aprreciate then. Now I think having free time after uni (studying Computer Engineering) I will pick some Blender tutorials at official Blender site (http://www.blender.org/support/tutorials/) and after that I will try to combine these skills with some engine or straight away with OpenGL. Can u guys recommend me some good C++ game engine? I was thinking about Unity 3D(I know it is not C++).

Deltron Zero and Automator.

Learning any new skill is NEVER a time waste. 3D modelling is always useful for making placeholder assets or tweeking values whilst your artist is working on other stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement