• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Wasn't printf supposed to stop at '\0' ?

This topic is 1421 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Wasn't printf supposed to output to the console until encountering the null character?

I forgot to assign the null character to the end of the string yet it printed out the C array nicely.

Advertisement
Yes, because it is the nature of C-strings. It just so happens that at the very specific time you ran your program, there was a zero byte after your string. Run your program in a debugger and examine the memory around your string. Run it again, then manipulate the memory around the string such that it doesn't end in a zero byte.

Also, string constants already have a null-terminator, if that's what you assigned to the array you tested. You only have to add the null-terminator when you get the string from a source which provides non-null terminated strings (like functions that return a PASCAL-type strings, or an array and character count).

Also, string constants already have a null-terminator, if that's what you assigned to the array you tested. You only have to add the null-terminator when you get the string from a source which provides non-null terminated strings (like functions that return a PASCAL-type strings, or an array and character count).

Or I wrote the function myself assigning each character individually to each array index.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement