Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

big nasty

time it takes to make a game and more Qs

1.how long would it take a half way decent c++ programmer to make a game like quake 1 or 2 if he had his 3d graphics and stuff i know its a crazy question. 2.also whats easiest programming language thats also object oriented im not talking about stuff like dark basics or blitz cause i want to make dll and all. 3. can i make games for gameboy,xbox etc and if so with what language 4.how long does it take to learn c++ so i could make a pacman clone.again another odd question but try to anwser 5.whats something that would make graphic part of programming easier for c++ or any other language would genesis do this 6.could i use gmax to make models and animations for a game Thanks Nasty ps.please anwser these question it will help me alot

Guest Anonymous Poster
1. Probably a long time. It takes a team of programmers over a year to make games such as quake, that''s as close as I can say.

2. Learn c/c++. You won''t regret it. Stuff like dark basic are a little easier to learn, but the power of c/c++ and the lack of the overhead of dark basic make c/c++ much better. If you dont'' know how to program yet, i recomend learning something live basic (NOT visual basic, start with quickbasic, or something of the like) or pascal or some other easy language.

3. Yes, and no. Consoles require a dev kit to make games for. The big N is know for extremly large prices for dev kits/licenses, sony is said to be better (that''s what I''ve heard atleast). Xbox is interesting... Atleast at one point M$ had free dev kits available.
If you just want to mess around, and you have atleast some cash to spend, you can get underground compilers and flash roms or special cables to make gameboy/ps2 games.

4. Different for everybody. The basics of it may take only a couple weeks or a few months, but to truly understand it can take years. To master it.... a life time as far as I''m concerned.

5. Graphics aren''t that hard once you learn the concepts and math behind the algorithms. Somebody will probably list a few things here for you.

6. Uh... I dunno. Somebody else has to answer this one...

--Drakonite

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by big nasty
1.how long would it take a half way decent c++ programmer to make a game like quake 1 or 2 if he had his 3d graphics and stuff i know its a crazy question.

How bad do you want to make it. If I held a gun to your head you would work your damnest to get it done. I think that, if anything is a major role in how long; is how bad do you want it. Second... obviosly your skills as a programmer are another factor. I would say that if you really want it, i don''t think it would be all that crazy to think within 8 months you could create something ''half-decent''. I''m no guru tho, and its good to take in others who may post regarding this topic.

2.also whats easiest programming language thats also object oriented im not talking about stuff like dark basics or blitz cause i want to make dll and all.

Hmmm... personaly, and i think MANY people will agree, C++ is the way to go. And just another thought, I would like to know what people think of Ruby. =)

3. can i make games for gameboy,xbox etc and if so with what language

I''m not to sure about this one... but I believe it''s all the same. X-box, from what i understand, is basicly a computer. =) So c++? And i also believe that some systems have there own custom langage... but don''t quote me.

4.how long does it take to learn c++ so i could make a pacman clone.again another odd question but try to anwser

See 1. - but definitly not 8 months

5.whats something that would make graphic part of programming easier for c++ or any other language would genesis do this

Dunno... you could use pre made librarys. But understand, once you have your graphics system down, all you simply need say is:
'' load this model ''
'' play animation ''

6.could i use gmax to make models and animations for a game

gmax? Can''t help you here man.. but, 3ds? Yes. =) definitly.

Understand. I may not be 100% correct on these.. but I just hope they could help you in some way... =) good luck

I''ve always wondered, what takes longer, the actual engineering and development of a game, or the production of art, sounds and music and the like... Obviously for some games different aspects are going to take longer, but I''ve always been curious how the different tasks coincide chronologically.

1) If you already knew what you were doing, and worked full-time at it, you could create a basic Quake2 engine in about six-eight months. Content is another story.

2) Probably Java or perhaps Delphi

3) Yes. GameBoy assembly, C++

4) It depends... You could use C++ as a better C quickly, but learn all about classes, inheritence, exceptions, etc... takes a while. Maybe four-six months if you''re persistant. The thing is, you don''t need C++ for PacMan - but you could use full-blown C++ as a good learning exercise.

5) PowerRender or FastGraph are some APIs

6) What''s gmax?

6) You certainly COULD.. but I don''t think the devkit is free. Look at: http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/gmaxdev/

I''m not going to answer the questions, but maybe I can help you anyway.

I''d recommend you the following way:

* Learn C.

* While you learn it, go making the games you are able to do at that time. At the beginning, you won''t be able to do very interesting stuff, but that''s a start.

Forget about Quake''s (and specially about 3d) until you really understand the stuff.

--DK
--H. Hernán Moraldo
http://www.hhm.com.ar/