• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Acquired by _____!(fill in the blank)

This topic is 1400 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Luckless. Before, you bought the software one time fee. With the subscription thing, you end up paying way more over time. It's residual income for them, not just a way to prevent pirating.

And at any time, they can up the fee, just like that stunt Netflix tried to pull. It's like cable.

Unfortunately a lot of big companies want to do the subscription thing. So you end up (if you are like me) looking for decent alternatives. I say, here in America at least, we pay too much for convenience. Photoshop has that "must have feature." One press of a button and presto! I just don't want the world of open sourced software to be crushed by the "money men."

Your internet provider can choose to jack up the price anytime they choose. Maybe you should instead share your local network with your neighbour, get them to do the same with someone further down, and so on and so forth, and then you will never have to worry about your ISP jacking up the price...

I have a full CC subscription, and I love it. Loads of cool toys to play with and learn for a very small fraction of the price compared to if I had been required to buy them full retail up front.

They are priced such that you really only save any money if you were in the habit of skipping major updates, which would put you behind in the learning curve and make migrating to future updates that much harder. Now the tools I'm using change slowly over the course of months, with new options and features being added in when they're ready to ship, not in a year or so when the next big boxed version is ready to be released for another $600 up front.

And so what if they suddenly jack the price up. If they do that then I stop subscribing and go looking for other software. They don't hold a gun to my head and force me to renew a contract for a price that I'm not happy with.

Good software isn't easy to make, so why should I expect to pay nothing or next to nothing for it? I don't expect to work for nothing when people come into my office looking for the services my business offers, so why should I expect that of other people?

Edited by Luckless

Advertisement
Right. It's a good thing there is "other software" to be found. I don't need the software to be free, because I don't mind paying for good software. Prices have to be reasonable though, and I am not rich (no $6,000 on maya). $400 for Reason 4.0 is a steal, and that is not per month.

I work I retail, so I have a good idea of "fair price."

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement