Switch or Not?

Started by
74 comments, last by jpetrie 10 years, 1 month ago
Well, i've been learning c++ for 4 months (at March 1st) and it's been good-ish.
So far, i've learnt: variables, loops, functions, arrays, vectors, enums, switch & if/else, pointers & references, dynamic mem. allocation, conditional operators and recently, classes.
I haven't learnt much on classes because i realised the '~' key exists periodically on the computer i'm using.
The plan was to learn c++ for 6 months (console part) then learn c++ for another 6 months with Qt (gui part) and the directx, maths, physics before making games. I didn't have a problem with this other than the fact that i don't like the console. I don't mind using it to learn c++ but if i had a choice, i would leave it for qt immediately.
Another idea today about a game but it was different because it's always about 3d games but this one was about a 2d game. An open world, third person game based on the best 2d cartoon/animation ever created that's available for Microsoft (xbox, pc, phone), Apple (i<whatever>, pc) and Google (android).
I've got everything worked out except the fact that 1) it's based on a cartoon (license needed) 2) Unity seems like the best option 3) Unity uses C# (i know about the boo and javascript).
It's the first game idea that didn't make me not like Apple, the idea of making a 2d game, being available on mobile and multiplayer support.
I was just wondering if i should start learning C# and pause the learning of C++ and then continue learning C++ later on (in order to accomplish my other dreams) or continue learning C++?
Sorry for how long it is.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Advertisement

Why does Unity seem like the best option for your 2D game?

If you switch to C#, are you going to start from the console level again? Or jump a few steps straight to using a game engine?

My suggestion is keep with C++ and a use a simple 2D graphics library like SDL to start your game.

In particular I recommend using SDL 1.2 and following these great tutorials: http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials

Read the corresponding tutorial as you need it for your own game. After all, he best way of learning is by doing.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

Why does Unity seem like the best option for your 2D game?
If you switch to C#, are you going to start from the console level again? Or jump a few steps straight to using a game engine?

My suggestion is keep with C++ and a use a simple 2D graphics library like SDL to start your game.

In particular I recommend using SDL 1.2 and following these great tutorials: http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials
Read the corresponding tutorial as you need it for your own game. After all, he best way of learning is by doing.

SDL uses opengl (and other open <something>).
Unity 2d is a game engine and allows release for all platforms and from numerous posts seems easier

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

I haven't learnt much on classes because i realised the '~' key exists periodically on the computer i'm using.

I don't really understand what you mean by that, but personally i just do Alt + 126 for a '~'.

(Hold Alt then press 1, 2 and 6 :))

I don't really understand what you mean by that, but personally i just do Alt + 126 for a '~'.
(Hold Alt then press 1, 2 and 6 :))
What i meant is that if i'm writing a program, after a certain time, the symbols and their keys change and only then does ~ work.
I will try that.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

Not sure why you need a tilde so bad. Only thing I can think of is declaring destructors. No excuse not to start learning how to use classes. But also if all your symbols are switching how are you able to program anything??

But also if all your symbols are switching how are you able to program anything??

. . . by restarting vc++ everytime it happens.
It's just c++ is getting a bit boring and i really love this game idea.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

Surely thats your answer then.

Well, C++ by proxy of C does support trigraphs.
I dont suggest using them but if you cannot seem to get the '~' character to work this might be a last ditch effort ;)

#include <iostream>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
  std::cout << "??-" << std::endl;
  return 0;
}
When compiled with the -trigraphs compiler flag, this will infact output "~".

One of the most important skills you can learn in game development is to stick to something. If you keep losing interest, this is not going to produce a good outcome.
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

Unity 2d is a game engine and allows release for all platforms and from numerous posts seems easier

SDL does the same too

and to answer your question, in my opinion you should first finish learn c++. after that its only a small step to c# or other languages

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement