Switch or Not?

Started by
74 comments, last by jpetrie 10 years, 1 month ago

If you're getting bored of C++ then it's probably because you're not creating anything that really motivates you. You've probably learned enough C++ to start making simple games, so I suggest picking up an API such as SDL. After becoming somewhat familiar with the basic operations of that API, start making simple games such as Tic-Tac-Toe, Pong, or Snake. Sure, there will be gaps in your knowledge as you create these games, but you can learn as you create. There is no need to learn absolutely every aspect of a programming language or API before you start making games.

Advertisement

All programming languages become boring eventually, because the user confuses their own lack of direction with a fault in the language (not that I'm accusing you of that in these circumstances). Except Brainfuck. I can't see how you'd ever get bored, because you'll never understand what is going on :)

If you're trying to produce a game, using an existing framework / engine will help you get there quicker. But if you're truly passionate then it's inevitable you'll one day take a step back and implement the same things for yourself, so it's where you start.

Switching between languages is free. Learning other languages is an investment.

Feel free to try out C#. It's not like you have anything to lose.

If you're getting bored of C++ then it's probably because you're not creating anything that really motivates you. You've probably learned enough C++ to start making simple games, so I suggest picking up an API such as SDL. Start making simple games such as Tic-Tac-Toe, Pong, or Snake.

I've made Tic-Tac-Toe more than 3 times (with and without arrays). I prefer directx to open <something>.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Only 4 months, and you're 'bored'? Doesn't really bode well. What makes you think switching languages is the answer?

What makes you think switching languages is the answer?

Me learning C++ is a product of switching from vb (after trying to fix a problem that had no solution for more than 2 weeks) and realising that i needed something else.
I won't say the knowledge didn't help me because it did.
I think i'm bored because i haven't learnt anything NEW, the most outstanding things i see left console-wise are classes and templates.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

I've made Tic-Tac-Toe more than 3 times (with and without arrays). I prefer directx to open .

In that case, it's time to move onto something bigger. Try something that takes place in real time, such as Snake or a shoot 'em up. After that, you might try making a simple platformer.

I've made Tic-Tac-Toe more than 3 times (with and without arrays). I prefer directx to open .

In that case, it's time to move onto something bigger. Try something that takes place in real time, such as Snake or a shoot 'em up. After that, you might try making a simple platformer.
In the console?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

In the console?

No, you'll need to start working with graphics. Select an API and learn some of its basic functions (creating a window, getting user input, drawing graphics, etc.) then start making simple graphical games with that API.

In the console?

No, you'll need to start working with graphics. Select an API and learn some of its basic functions (creating a window, getting user input, drawing graphics, etc.) then start making simple graphical games with that API.
That would be directx.
Cin >> isn't for input in a gui?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement