Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tanzanite7

Visual Studio 2013 wariness.

This topic is 1776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Have been toying with VS2013 for ~week, and i am a bit worried about its fitness. Please share your experience so far.

In my case, it is a mixed bag.

The good:

* more standards stuff implemented (inc. stuff i really missed).

* improved Intellisense considerably (major context dependent cleanup).

* semi-optimized debug build (something that the VS-devs told they would like to work on ... well, it sure looks like they have worked on it :D ).

* updated support for XP target.

* "overview" on scrollbar.

... the rest i am not yet benefiting from.

The bad:

* Highly irritating UI bug - tabs always close themselves on reload (reported and they can reproduce - so, there is hope for the far-away future).

* Compiler crash - the newly added default template parameters for functions is a bit touchy (report pending reproduction confirmation - which is certain to follow).

* Intellisense likes to incorrectly mark a lot of code to be buggy - also, some services like to crash when working with the suffering code. Don't get me wrong, i am happy that it is as good as it is. Just worried that at some point it craps its pants so completely/persistently that i essentially lose it completely. I wonder if i should take the time to report Intellisense mistakes (in the sense that they certainly already know a crapton of problems with it) - especially as it would take considerable time to generate the reproduction cases.

* Property pages are as buggy as they have always been - but not bothered too much by it as i have learned to work around them all.

* Registering it requires that Internet Explorer is installed, its security settings lowered and IE set as default browser - facepalm. At least that is over. Not sure if i can uninstall IE now or not :/ - just disabled it for the time being.

Advertisement

You don't mention which version of VS 2013 you're using. I've been using VS 2013 Express for Desktop since the beginning of January. I haven't experienced any of the "bad" stuff you mentioned (other than requirements for downloading and installation).

I did run into some crashes on closing VS, following which it automatically restarted. It's reproducible, and I reported the problem. The problem is also avoidable. Has to do with closing the Help Viewer, then quickly closing VS.

Maybe has something to do with setting Firefox as my default browser. In any case, I wanted it - Microsoft said it's free - I don't look at a gift horse in the mouth.

EDIT: Using Windows 7, SP1.

Edited by Buckeye

* Registering it requires that Internet Explorer is installed, its security settings lowered and IE set as default browser - facepalm. At least that is over. Not sure if i can uninstall IE now or not :/ - just disabled it for the time being.

I did not have to do this with 2013 Ultimate.

I've had no problems with VS2013 Professional. Been running it with the 2013 November Compiler CTP, too. It's lightyears better than 2012 and has its ups and downs versus 2010 (predominantly ups, in my opinion).

I'm using VS2013 Professional and have experienced none of the negatives you listed. It's super stable and everything works fine. It didn't require me to use Internet Explorer in any capacity. Sometimes issues in an application can come down to a very unique set of circumstances on your own machine. I am on Windows 8.1 if that makes any difference.

My setup: Windows 7 x64 / VS 2013 Express for Desktop.

So, hardly any problems?

Hm, VS just does not like me it seems. Or i just happened to step into the worst corners of VS ... well, that i hope means that only the bright corners are left. Good to hear.

That said, no-one having lots of intellisense bugs, seriously? ... if so, then i think i should take the time at some point to generate some reproduction stuff to report for some of them.

Also, don't tell me that only me is having property pages bugs (VS 2008/2010/2012/2013 on Win7/XP32/XP64 platforms) ... that history made me think that it just is a hopelessly shoddy mess. Only me? Anyway, not really something i am really bothered with as i can work around the bugs.

Used to use Borland compilers, but switched to VS at some point (VS2005?) and not looking back. It gets the job done and the price, for Express edition, is nice too smile.png.

Most annoying bug I've seen in Pro version has been not formatting switch/cases correctly (doesn't aligned the way the formatting setup says it will).  This is a documented bug.  I've been happy with it overall.  Few missing C+11 things still (not running the CTP), but they are slowly getting there.

I also miss recordable macros, I'm hoping they put them back in in a future version.

Great, todays set of oddities ...

void (*example)() = []{
  struct Local {
    void operator=(Local const &) const = delete;
    void operator delete(void *) = delete;
  };
  new Local(); // line of intellisense error
}
Generates 6 warnings (all bogus in my book, as "=delete" tells that what it warns about is intentional and hence there should not be any warning):
warning C4822: '<lambda>:sad.png)::Local::operator =' : local class member function does not have a body
warning C4822: '<lambda>:sad.png)::Local::operator delete' : local class member function does not have a body
warning C4822: '<lambda>::<helper_func_cdecl>::Local::operator =' : local class member function does not have a body
warning C4822: '<lambda>::<helper_func_cdecl>::Local::operator delete' : local class member function does not have a body
warning C4822: '<lambda>::<helper_func_vectorcall>::Local::operator =' : local class member function does not have a body
warning C4822: '<lambda>::<helper_func_vectorcall>::Local::operator delete' : local class member function does not have a body

And a bogus intellisense error:
IntelliSense: function "Local::operator delete(void *)" cannot be referenced -- it is a deleted function

Two new, minor, bug reports incoming - or did i miss something?

PS. i love the syntax highlighting options since VS2012 version - i set it to bold static functions/variables and even delete operator shows up correctly bolded ("delete" and "new" are implicitly static).

edit: apparently uncheking "Enable emoticons" does absolutely nothing.

1 IntelliSense: function "Local::operator delete(void *)" (declared at line X) cannot be referenced -- it is a deleted

When I comment delete out, the error goes away in VS 2013 Pro.  I think it is the compilers funny way of saying you have new but no delete.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!