Let's get it right Windows or MacOSX, Android or IOS?

Started by
30 comments, last by Tutorial Doctor 10 years, 1 month ago

I can't get to like OSX. Possibly XCode and iOS development has soured me on the whole OS though.

www.simulatedmedicine.com - medical simulation software

Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me or contact through website with a contact email address if interested.

Advertisement
I use Ubuntu Unity. I have a Symbian phone on its last legs: Symbian is awful. I'll replace it soon with a phone running Ubuntu Unity.

I also have free access to all Valve games running on Ubuntu, and we're trying to get some Steam games to run on the phone, too.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

I used android on weak phone

(htc wildfire) it seems slow, I used iphone 3gs years ago

(it seem faster, but both are too small.

Note that the Wildfire was a low end phone when it was released. The nice thing now though is that even the low end Android phones are looking good enough for most people (e.g., Moto G).

yes i know i build a cheaper phone avaliable and it was worth the prize imo, (as a music player and internet checker if need) it is also lookink ok, but never saw a pleasurable dynamic app on this - all aps (though i was not testing to much ) have something i can call (maybe wrong) 'java feeling' - even 8bit machines was responsive etc and here it is more sluggish (esp input seem to have a delay) (but do not matter, - maybe im even wrong a bit - i am not writing apps for that (yet, maybe i will but prefer just windows programming) so i does not doing test and it does not matter a crucial point for me

Snap, I forgot all about Linux. I stopped using Ubuntu after 10.10, but I also prefer Linux "for some things."

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

PS today i saw an advertisment of some touch hand-clock (samsung gear or something) maybe this become popular

(I am not using hand clock for years though if i would plug

phones in it (to listen wast amounts of mp3 stuff etc) i might have use it - carying the phone is burdensome

so maybe we will have the whole spectrum of display-devices from the 2 cm x 2 cm tthrughh the smartphone through the tablets to whole wall sice monitors ;/ future had come ;\

I only voted for windows because its what I use at home, but I use macs at school and I don't really have any problems with them. For the most part, they both run the software that I use.

But on the android/iOS side, iOS just feels so locked down compared to android. Although that is beneficial for developers, because they are working with only a few different screen sizes and processors, so the app support on iOS is much better than android.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

Haha fir. That Samsung Mega gets me. A 6" phone? Smh.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

A poll for Win vs Max + IOS vs Android...but no option for the Linux OS? Tsk-tsk.

Well, my vote goes for Linux and Android.

Apple is far too expensive whilst Windows I only use for the odd 3D package such as Silo and for games. Apart from spending time learning how to use Linux, its performed like a champ. Most 3D packages I use are now available for Linux, and I don't need Photoshop as GIMP covers that department for me nicely...

As for iOS vs Android, I go with Android because it costs far less. There is no way on god's green earth I am going to pay £400 for a tablet when there is an android equivilent for £200. Yes, there are more quality games for iOS than Android, but I can live without the odd exclusive...

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Mac OS X feels more sandboxed and streamlined.

Does it? Are you thinking of anything in particular here?

Apps from the appstore are somewhat sandboxed but the OS itself doesn't feel sandboxed to me.

I don't really see the streamlining and polish either - I occasionally have to restart the dock from the Terminal and struggle to remove apps from Launchpad. Developing with XCode is a very masochistic experience. I also need 3rd party tools like mac-ports to get things done that the OS should probably have in the bag already. Even as a technical user I find the MDI approach to applications-with-windows to be annoying and occasionally confusing. To me it all feels rough around the edges.

Hardware wise, it's a nice trackpad on my Mac Pro. The rest is not much to write home about.

Windows 8 does sorta suck, so when I am talking about windows I am thinking of Windows XP/ Windows 7.

I also use Win8 on a daily basis and I like it. It's basically just Win7 with extra bits (that you are free to ignore should you wish).
The Win8 start screen is actually a nice touch - it's a better fullscreen app-launcher than Apple's Launchpad anyway.

As a development platform: Windows > OSX.
For mobile development: WinPhone > Android > IOS

As a development platform: Windows > OSX.
For mobile development: WinPhone > Android > IOS

Do you guys know, for Android and iOS development, OSX triumphantly beats Windows? Since OSX is *nix-based, Android can happily talk to OSX without any extra drivers. Windows require drivers, and all sorts of miscellanous installations, just to get your device detected. If you are working on dozens of devices, some of which are pre-released devices where it doesn't have any driver you can download, using *nix-based OSes becomes mandatory.

I prefer Linux and Android. Linux is not even on there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement