Let's get it right Windows or MacOSX, Android or IOS?

Started by
30 comments, last by Tutorial Doctor 10 years, 1 month ago

Never liked the compatibility for Apple computers. Their libraries of programs were OK back before Windows 2K, but are irrelevant for what I do now-a-days.

Also ... no option for "other" in the phone category. I do not own a "smart" phone.

Windows 7

<NA>

Side note: the "mac" logo is of a Red Delicious apple , not a Mackintosh apple.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Advertisement

I would not pay more than $100 for a phone.

As for OS, Win8.1 is complicated to use and for Mac I'd need osx86...

I even run my Windows apps on Ubuntu nowadays...

Why is that on all movies you see today every notebook that shows up is a macbook?

Does it really correspond to reality?

Why is that on all movies you see today every notebook that shows up is a macbook?

A very true observation.
From my pov, it doesn't correspond to reality. Probably mass advertising.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

A very true observation.

not "probably", it is basic product placement, if you see a real-world brand displayed clearly in a movie you can be 100% certain that the owner of the brand paid good money for it and they want maximum exposure then (So if Apple buys product placement in movieX you probably won't see their competitors in it, Samsung, Dell, HTC, Sony etc show up in tons of movies aswell but obviously a big marketing heavy company like Apple will get more exposure than many of its smaller competitors) (And ofcourse, Sony movies(Skyfall, Spiderman for example) tend to be flooded with Vaios and Xperias)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

A very true observation.

not "probably", it is basic product placement, if you see a real-world brand displayed clearly in a movie you can be 100% certain that the owner of the brand paid good money for it and they want maximum exposure then (So if Apple buys product placement in movieX you probably won't see their competitors in it, Samsung, Dell, HTC, Sony etc show up in tons of movies aswell but obviously a big marketing heavy company like Apple will get more exposure than many of its smaller competitors) (And ofcourse, Sony movies(Skyfall, Spiderman for example) tend to be flooded with Vaios and Xperias)
I thought so but put "probably" because i wasn't 100% sure (95% ).
Love the Xperia Z's. Z2

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Also, don't forget everyone in the art department (the people who make props) use Macs, so if they're asked to provide a computer, they'll provide one that looks like the computer everyone they know uses.

So to a certain extent, it does correspond to reality.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

I like MacOSX better than Windows in general, depending on which version of Windows we're talking about.

One can easily come up with a list of pros and cons for each OS, as I'm going to do now.

MacOSX

Good:

- Very user friendly, with minimal deviation from already working features (I'll explain more in a minute).

- Development tools and IDEs are free.

- UNIX based OS.

- Multiple desktops that can easily be scrolled.

- Intuitive app system.

- Hot corners that are actually useful.

- Free OS upgrades to Mavericks from previous OS versions.

- Reliable.

- Can scroll windows that behind the current/active one.

- Can easily type characters from other languages on murican keyboards (i.e. ,,Szía meindenke!'', ,,"Süsü a sárkány'', ,,Dobban a föld szíve ébred a nép...'').

Bad:

- You rely on Apple for a large percentage of driver software updates (OpenGL is OS dependent).

- Only [legally] runs on Apple's patented hardware (a smart business move).

- Usually required to be serviced by Apple to avoid voiding warranty.

- Pricey.

- IMO, file organization methods are a bit counter-intuitive.

- Not a very popular gaming platform.

- OpenGL performance could be faster.

- Smug user base.

Windows:

Good:

- Inexpensive.

- Runs on virtually any feasible x86 based hardware.

- User friendly.

- Lots of helpful troubleshooters.

- Supports many multimedia APIs for games.

- Drivers can be downloaded and installed from hardware vendors (OpenGL support is driver dependent).

- Very popular gaming OS.

- Can cascade and minimize all windows easily.

Bad:

- Can only scroll the active window/top window (very annoying).

- OS updates aren't free (the major ones aren't, at least).

- Certain development tools aren't free (Visual Studio (express aside), IIRC Direct3D debugging requires VS 2012 pro, etc.)

- More viruses/trojan horses waiting for you.

- Crashes more.

- Hot corners suck.

- The current lack of a start button is annoying.

- Metro is essentially forced on you.

- Microsoft LOVES to reinvent the wheel, and fix features that aren't broken, making it annoying having to learn everything all over again. Now how am I supposed to do <insert simple task here>?

- Security features get annoying.

- Harder to type certain characters on an murican keyboard.

- Fanboys who bash Mac users every chance they get, making it harder for us Mac users to use our Macs in peace.

That's just a basic list for OSes.

As for Android vs iOS, I choose neither. I like Blackberry OS the best so far. Either way, I like iOS slightly better. Android is great, and I really enjoy dev'ing for it, but iOS so far is more straight forward once you learn the ropes. Getting started with iOS dev was a complete nightmare, one that I will not soon forget.

Oh yeah, and I agree with alnite, MacOSX trumps Windows as a dev environment for embedded software and mobile platforms. I work for a major software company, and we (like MANY other companies aside from Microsoft) use MacOSX and Linux to develop software and test automation. Why? Because UNIX based OSes are much less hassle. Not saying that I couldn't get it done, but when I tried installing the Android SDK for Windows, it was a pain doing something as simple as getting adb working properly. On MacOSX? Easy, no hassle whatsoever.

I've done enough ranting for now. I should put more energy into coding, marketing and what not rather than this.

Shogun.

Yes Xcode is free but a pain to download. Apple directs you to the store for paying with Creditcard...Only a friend gave me a direct download link, somewhere hidden on some developer page.

Anyway for me personally, proprietary OS are obsolete.- I only boot Win8.1 and OSX86 for crosscompiling my stuff, which I develop on Ubuntu.

I thought it was me!! I did get the Android SDK running on Windows 8, but it was a lot going on. I haven't tried it for mac yet, I might do that soon.

I know Ubuntu 10.10 had useful hot-corners, and I missed that (it actually worked on 10.10). When I got the mac, I was glad to see they had the hot corners. It makes moving a breeze. Strange thing. I still use this $200 toshiba for most things still (mac doesn't have the software I need).

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement