I need some help on an Idea

Started by
11 comments, last by Android 13 22 years, 5 months ago
(Note: Not spell checked) I am writeing a battle program right now and I need some ideas on how to do the travle part of the game. It is a text based RPG, but if people want to meat new people to fight, and take part in the story line, they will need to travle. So I was wondering if you could help me with some ideas. Maybey a text way of travle, or 2D wich I really dont want to do at this point. But if thats the only resort. So your imput would really be appreatiated. Mess with the best, Die like the rest!!
Mess with the best,Die like the rest!!
Advertisement
because your game is text-based, i would recommend having a bunch of "locations", and have them connected by "exits"... have you ever played a MUD? or one of those sierra adventure games?
basically, you need to make a "location" data type or class or something, and store the location''s name, a description (if you want one in the game), and a list of exits (which point to other locations)... if you want to, you can put in a collection or linked list to store any items and stuff that are in this location, but that might not be necessary for your game. you also need a variable that tells the game what location your player is in.

basically, the game would tell the player:
"you are in a field. you can go north, south, east, or west."
or
"you are in front of a battle arena. you can go east, west, and south, or enter the arena."
and you give the player some way of going to the exits... then just moves the player to the location that the exit points to.

am i making any sense at all?

for an example of what i am talking about, look for the game "zork". i can''t give you details about how to implement this though, as you never said what language you are using.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Thanks alot for your ideas! That sounds like a great idea i hadnt even thought of. I am useing C++. With your ideas though, some of the stores are going to be run by real people. So how would I put that together with your form of travle?

Mess with the best,
Die like the rest!!
real people? are you making an online RPG? kewl...
one way would be to just let those "real people" log in as characters, and they can control the trading with whatever commands you like (if it is a real person, they can just tell the players what they have and for how much... you''ll have to put in code to handle giving money to others, and trading items and stuff)... this would probably actually take less coding than if you had to set up an NPC shop keeper (but even that could be done by storing a list of what they have and prices; you just need some player commands to select an item from this list and pay for it).
i just started playing with c++, so i probably can''t help you with coding details, but there are tons of people here on gamedev.net that can help you with specific coding questions...
there are tons of tutorials out there (mostly unfinished as far as what i have found) that will at least give you a good idea what type of stuff you will need to do for an RPG (online or single-player)... you can get a lot of help here, but reading those tutorials might be faster if it is early in the day (when i think most computer people sleep )

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Thanks! Im pretty good with C++, but not as good as some. Also ill probly have to make both of them possible, because i want it to be possible to train off line as well as on. If you visit my website, www.dbzarpg.com/os/index.shtml, ill be releasing details on the game. The site isnt finished but you can still visit it.
Thanks for the advice.

Mess with the best,
Die like the rest!!
Consider taking a look at some of the text based adventure game engines that are out there now for tips on organization. I recommend TADS.

HTH
Can someone give me a link to one of these text based RPG''s?

Mess with the best,
Die like the rest!!
Please??
You can find lots of single-player games and development systems at www.ifarchive.org.

None of the development systems are specifically multiplayer, and I imagine it'd be difficult to extend them for that purpose. However, some of the games are the best of their class, and there's a lot of theory about text-based games.

For multi-player games, the significant players right now, I suppose, are PennMUSH, TinyMUSH, and TinyMUX.

A list of games is the Automated MUSH List, or The Mud Connector.

All your bases belong to us

Edit: 'A' misbehaving.

Edited by - Mayrel on November 3, 2001 8:35:17 AM
CoV
Thanks alot man, just one question. What does "All your bases are belonging to us" Mean?

Mess with the best,
Die like the rest!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement