Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

big nasty

ok vb questions

1.where can i get vb at like a trial version 2.can vb make a game like quake 1 without being to slow 3.whats not possible in vb 4.can i do a 3d online game in vb 5. is vb easy like how long would it take to make a tetris clone 6.how long would it take to master vb 7.where can i get vb tutorials at free if possible thanks nasty

1. Don''t know
2.All depends, if you have a good computer, Pentium 3.
3.Nothing I can think of.
4.Probably, never used VB for internet
5.Depends, do you have programming experience? It won''t take too long.
6.Depends, not too long.
7.Everywhere. If you program with DirectX, download the SDK.

1. i dunno, i don''t think there is one (although i could be wrong)... look on the microsoft website (but don''t expect much)...
2. yah, if you use DirectX and code well...
3. nothing (although some stuff will take a bit of though to figure it out)...
4. of course...
5. it depends on how much you already know, and how fast you pick up on stuff... it shouldn''t take too long though...
6. master? i dunno, it depends on what you mean by "master"... you should be able to make a crappy program really fast, and again, it depends on how fast you are at learning stuff...
7. www.vbgamersring.com will give you links to a bunch of websites... or just search for "visual basic tutorial" in your favorite search engine...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

quote:
1.where can i get vb at like a trial version

I think there might be a control creation edition for free (check download.cnet.com - that''s where I remember seeing it). It can''t make standalone executables, but the coding is the same (it makes ActiveX controls)

quote:
2.can vb make a game like quake 1 without being to slow

If the programmer is good enough, then yes.

quote:
3.whats not possible in vb

Portability.

quote:
4.can i do a 3d online game in vb

If you know what you are doing, then a programming language isn''t going to stop you.

quote:
5. is vb easy like how long would it take to make a tetris clone

That obviously depends on experience, willingness to learn and also how much of a quick learner you are. I could knock one up in a few minutes, but if it is the first thing you are doing then you will take longer.

quote:
6.how long would it take to master vb

I wouldn''t say that I have "mastered" VB, in fact, I don''t think anyone has "mastered" any language. But, I''ve been programming since I was 10, and now I''m 17 and at this point, language is not the barrier I face, i.e. converting between English and VB or C++ and VB is simple. I would say it took me 5 or 6 years to get to this point, and of those 5 or 6 years, 2 were spent using QBasic.

quote:
7.where can i get vb tutorials at free if possible

www.rookscape.com/vbgaming/ - excellent for starting out, lively message board and plenty of tutorials.

64.23.12.52 - aka DX4VB. Lots of tutorials, mostly about using directX in vb hence the name. There is a domain name for it, but I can''t remember (programmer memory ). Not known for its message board, but definately check it out for the obscene number of tutorials

voodoovb.dnsalias.net (only at this address temporarily, will be at voodoovb.thenexus.bc.ca soon) - once you have come to grips with VB, the message board here is pretty cool. A bit more advanced usually than other places.

www.vbexplorer.com - good general VB site. Has stuff on games, and most of the stuff is targetted towards the beginner. Very large site, so you will find lots of stuff here.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by big nasty
1.where can i get vb at like a trial version
2.can vb make a game like quake 1 without being to slow
3.whats not possible in vb
4.can i do a 3d online game in vb
5. is vb easy like how long would it take to make a tetris clone
6.how long would it take to master vb
7.where can i get vb tutorials at free if possible

thanks nasty

1. There are a few books on VB that come with a working model but other than that I have no clue.
2. Not with out the aid of some API calls.
3. Don''t know
4. Probably. Milage may vary.
5. Lets put it this way you can learn it quicker than C. Not long
6. That depends on you.
7. Type VB tutrial in .

1. Visual Basic Programming Starter Kit (doesn''t actually compile programs, just allows you to write and test code in the IDE)

2. I wouldn''t use VB for that

3. There are always work arounds

4. See #2

5. VB is very simple. It wouldn''t take long to make a tetris clone

6. Depends on how determined you are. There will always be parts of the language that you dont use often though.

7. The Scarms has a lot of more advanced VB tutorials. I prefer books for more simple topics such as the acutal language structure. "Sams Teach Yourself Visual Basic 6 in 24 Hours" is good.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm