Gravity: Old school arcade game

Started by
6 comments, last by ryan20fun 10 years, 1 month ago

I do a lot of 3D graphics and game programming and have been working on a rather large project for a few years now. Around a week back, however, I started pondering if I could make a simple yet entertaining game in a few evenings. I keenly remember a game called Lunar lander from the past, which I liked a lot. I wanted to make something similar, but with a twist or two.

The result is a game called Gravity, where you fly a little space ship over the surface of a planet, trying to collect valuable diamonds, emeralds and the kind. But it is not made easy: you have to fight gravity and various enemy ships, whose quantity increases as you proceed. Collect all the stars in a level to earn extra score. How high a score can you get?

Below is a picture. However, the graphics are simple on purpose, test the game itself to see if it's any good!

gravity.png

Download the game from here . At the moment binaries are built for Windows and linux (64-bit only).

Gamepads are also supported, but as of yet cannot be configured.

I highly appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Advertisement

Hi.

I get the error:

"Error in shader program linking!",

"Fragment shader(s) were no successfully compiled before glLinkProgam() was called. Link failed",

"Could no load ortho textured shader!"

Picture of console window:

[attachment=20313:err.jpg]

System: Windows 8 x64 Pro, AMD Radeon 7770, 8 GiB RAM.

-Ryan.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Hi.

I get the error:

"Fragment shader(s) were no successfully compiled before glLinkProgam() was called. Link failed",

-Ryan.

Thanks a lot for the report! I guess this is how "portable" OpenGL is. I'm running on an nvidia chip and got no errors.

Perhaps the problem was an expression of the form "gl_TexCoord[0]*a.xy". I tried to fix it and uploaded a new version.

Hopefully the problem is resolved. I took a precaution and moved the shader code to separate text files, which can be

used to fix further incompatibility issues without recompiling the whole program.

Hi.

I get the error:

-Ryan.

Thanks a lot for the report! I guess this is how "portable" OpenGL is. I'm running on an nvidia chip and got no errors.

Perhaps the problem was an expression of the form "gl_TexCoord[0]*a.xy". I tried to fix it and uploaded a new version.

Hopefully the problem is resolved. I took a precaution and moved the shader code to separate text files, which can be

used to fix further incompatibility issues without recompiling the whole program.

That did the trick :)

Now... I just have to work out how to get the ship to fly better :)

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

That did the trick
Now... I just have to work out how to get the ship to fly better

Good to hear. I also now tested the game on a laptop with integrated intel chip.

The control of the ship is a bit tricky at first, but you learn to master it.

The control of the ship is a bit tricky at first, but you learn to master it.

Ja, I'm getting the hang of it.

I've got one suggestion: Can you add a barrier to the left and right edge of the world ?, As i flew right past the landing pad and had to wait for the ship to crash to continue( I also wen't uncontrolable backwards the first time i took off.

But other then that it is a really nice game!, Probably better when I get the hang of it.

Good luck!

:)

-Ryan.

I've got one suggestion: Can you add a barrier to the left and right edge of the world ?, As i flew right past the landing pad and had to wait for the ship to crash to continue( I also wen't uncontrolable backwards the first time i took off.

That's a good suggestion. I've felt the pain myself a couple of times, but didn't elevate the problem very high in priority at first. Should the ship take damage on collision with the edges? This might appear unexpected. On the otherhand a huge wall might seem a bit silly. I could extend the ground "infinitely" to avoid the issue. Or maybe make the ground get progressively higher until it hits the top of the screen. This might be most natural.

But other then that it is a really nice game!, Probably better when I get the hang of it.

Good luck!

Thanks!

That's a good suggestion. I've felt the pain myself a couple of times, but didn't elevate the problem very high in priority at first. Should the ship take damage on collision with the edges? This might appear unexpected. On the otherhand a huge wall might seem a bit silly. I could extend the ground "infinitely" to avoid the issue. Or maybe make the ground get progressively higher until it hits the top of the screen. This might be most natural.

What about having a "buffer" of high density air or something that pushes you away from the edge ?

Good luck!

Thanks!

Your welcome :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement