• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Best projects to learn OpenGL from scratch?

This topic is 1413 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, i'm pretty decent with C++ and 2D game making, but 3D is still new to me with Unity being my only experience. Do you guys recommend which kind of projects to learn more about it? MD3/MD2 loaders/editors? Terrain editors? Terrain and object placement, etc?

Advertisement

An even more basic exercise: setting up windows and contexts, with proper error handling and without stupid assumptions. Extra credits for multiple windows.

If you learn to tread carefully and check for errors, you will be ready when you have something serious to debug.

It's turning into the cookie cutter answer but I'll post it anyway:

Since there is a big gap between "ye olde OpenGL" and "modern OpenGL", and various amounts of shades in between, you might find that resources differ quite a bit on how they go about doing things.

This online book teaches graphics theory and fairly modern OpenGL practices:

http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/

Its 3.3 core, so you won't be using sparse texture arrays nor shader buffer storage like you can on the latest nVidia Kepler/Maxwell cards but, that stuff is usually sought for when you're doing (very) advanced things. So don't worry much about it, basic setup is pretty much the same from OpenGL 3.3 and above (VAOs, UBOs, sampler objects, etc) and you get used to the 'layout' 'binding' qualifiers in GLSL which become more prominent as new features were released in newer editions of OpenGL. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement