Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Blankenship

2D platformer builder?

This topic is 1774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all,

A little about myself and my current project,
My name's Tim but you can call me Ghost! A friend and I are in the early stages of development on a 2D Side-scrolling endless runner that we plan to launch on Android. My friend is a recent Full Sail grad with a degree in game development (programming). I also attended Full Sail for game design but had to drop out about halfway through due to major personal issues. Anyway, while my friend is coding away I feel rather useless! While I have come up with the design for the game and put together all of the game docs I am now at a stand still. I'm an extreme beginner as far as coding is concerned and I am slowly but surely learning Java as we go but he can put out code about 100x faster than I can so i'm virtually useless at this stage of the process.

I am seeking a program that would allow me to build the world for our game (visually) so that my friend can program these sections into the game. I need a world builder/toolkit that would allow me to build 'sections' of the game world (platforms, enemy placement, power-ups, coins, etc.) using tilesets/assets that I can import. The game will call on these 'sections' randomly so that the player experiences a different run each time they play. Does anyone know of any type of free or reasonably priced program that I could use for this purpose? We intend to release this game with in-app purchases and ad's so it needs to support commercial use. 

If this should have been placed in the 2D art section I apologize but this IS level design related.

Thank you so much in advance and happy developing!

Advertisement

Wow, this looks perfect thank you! Can't believe I hadn't stumbled upon this yet. You sir are a life saver, once again i'm useful haha. I don't know how pleased my friend will be as he has invested about 10-15 hours in making a pattern creator but it just doesn't do everything I need lol.

Edited by DesignGhost

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!