I want to make an RPG in Unity2D

Started by
9 comments, last by SamuelKauffman 10 years, 1 month ago

Before anyone asks, I know that the engine is Unity3D, but I want to start with 2D right now... and I'm getting off track before I can get on it.

*ahem* Anyway, this RPG that I want to make in Unity is something of a dream project of mine, one that I'm hoping to release to the public at some point in the future. In all honesty, I feel constricted by using RPG Maker for this particular project, which is why I'm moving the project over to Unity. It would be easier to use RM for most everything, but I want to expand past what the default engine would allow in RM, and make my own "engine" with which to mess with things.

In any case, I was hoping for some help with learning how to use Unity for making an RPG with 2D graphics, so that I can use the engine without that many problems. As far as why I'm not getting a book for this... I'm broke. No money to buy the book(s).

Advertisement

Look up orthographic view.

Do you want to use Unity3D physics? probably not

Do you mean 2.5D, 3D locked to in 2D movement, or sprites flat?

There are plenty of tutorials on youtube that show you how to do various parts, but the 3 things you probably want to get out of the way is, figuring out how to work triggers, how to move around, and how guis work. The rest is useless if you haven't worked that out yet.

I was actually thinking of it being sprites flat... and I haven't found a single YouTube tutorial on how to make a 2D RPG with Unity (yet). Maybe because I wasn't looking hard enough, but I honestly didn't find a single thing, unfortunately.

There isn't really a tutorial for specifically the thing that you want that i know of. You have to look at tutorials that cover doing things for something that is close to what you want and then apply it to what you are doing.

2D sprites seems really easy to me as if you want to do all the programming yourself for everything you could just use GUI.DrawTexture for everything. There are much easier ways to do it that I haven't looked into but you could get very far with just that.

Everything or just about should be covered in these 2 tutorials...

http://www.burgzergarcade.com/hack-slash-rpg-unity3d-game-engine-tutorial

Hmm... I see what you mean by what you're saying.

In fact, I'll be sure to read/watch the tutorials as soon as I can, namely because I should be in bed by now.

I would advice you to stay away from the GUI stuff, it's a rather inefficient implementation (that gets overhauled/replaced in 4.4 anyway).

Anyway, you will not find many (if any) 2D (Sprite) RPG tutorials as they are both unrelated. The mechanics of a 3D RPG could be applied to a 2D just as well. So for the RPG part, your best bet is to simply research RPG specific stuff you can apply to your own thinking.

As for the 2D, Unity introduced 2D stuff in its previous big release (4.3) and you can find a sample project/tutorial over here: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/2d

Considering the 2D stuff in Unity is rather new, you might not find a whole lot of specific tutorials for it, but there should be plenty out there.

Really? Unity had some major errors on hand? News to me.

As for what you're saying, I understand, fortunately.

In any case, thanks for pointing out what I need to do, I'll be sure to follow through on it.

Does it specifically need to be the Unity engine? If not, why not try http://ethanonengine.com/. It's a 2d engine that may help you on your way.

I'll give it a try, though I actually have some experience with Unity, albeit learning experience.

Really? Unity had some major errors on hand? News to me

I never mentioned it had major errors, it's just that their GUI system isn't that efficient and likely for a sprite based game, not worth the effort. You can totally make something with the GUI system, but like the name already suggests, it's for the GUI and you will likely miss functionality to get some proper behavior.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement