Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
the incredible smoker

No Low Level Programming is better ?, Please explain this then ?

This topic is 1759 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, i was getting the advice that : low level optimalisations are bad.

Now i was reading : the new PS4 is not backwards compatible, because of the different architecture.

How does that rhyme ?,

Sounds to me they only use low level programming ???

i bet a hacker still can play old games on the new PS4.

But i know why Sony does stuff like this : They wanto sell you your games again that you already have, now as download.

They also sell ingame stuff, and game upgrades, i dont know if i still wanto call myself a gamer, if thats what a gamer is, someone who pays all the time.

Ill be waiting until the games are 5,- each, secondhand before buying a PS4,

if theres no more games available on CD with PS5, only downloads?, then i stop buying Sony Playstation.

If someone can explain to me about the low level programming?, i would feel better if they have a good reason,

but still it would be rediculous if the PS4 cannot play PS2 games, then they are doing it on purpose.

greetings

Advertisement

Game systems use API now-a-days for game production.

I don't believe a game counsel actually used hardware interface since the early to mid 90's ...

On a side note: trying to keep an API functional through several generations of hardware can be extremely difficult.

Edited by Shippou

The PS4 isn't backwards compatible because the hardware, including the CPU family and instruction set, are entirely different from the PS3. The same was true of the PS3 -> PS2, and PS2->PS1, except that those systems, at least the launch models, actually included a single-chip version of the previous system to provide hardware-based backwards compatibility.

To be more specific, the PS2 and PS3 include the PS1 CPU, which is used as an i/o and audio controller. However, they do not contain the PS1 GPU - instead, when emulating PS1 games, they run code on the main CPU which translates PS1 GPU command packets into a format useable by their own GPUs.

Since the PS1 CPU was inexpensive and played a vital role in system operation, it never made sense to remove it, which is why all models of PS2 and PS3 can play PS1 games.

On the other hand, the PS2 CPU used in the early models of PS3 was still somewhat pricey, and served no purpose besides enabling PS2 compatibility - thus it was more justifiable to remove it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!