Jmonkey or Gameplay

Started by
3 comments, last by sprotz 10 years, 1 month ago
Which of these two game development tools is easier to use, Jmonkey or Gameplay ?
I know they are both easy but which is easier to learn, with an easier syntax and with more features because I am looking for an easy to use game development engine to develop games, so if you have used both of them, what is your take on this ?
Advertisement

Gameplay: Documented C++ API, Undocumented Lua bindings for scripting, minimal examples, no editor

JMonkey: Better documented Java API & internals, No scripting langage, great examples, has an editor

What's most important to you?

Gameplay is the smaller engine, so it's easier to understand the internals. It should also offer good performance for simple scenes.

JMonkey has a lot more features, and has a more sophisticated scene manager (scenegraph) so it should perform better in complex scenes.

What type of games are you looking to develop, and what is the scope? I guess my feeling is that JMonkey is going to be able to better cope with a large project, but Gameplay may be easier for a small project.

Have in mind that Java has a generally good standard support for scripting languages. So you get third party libraries like JRuby, Jython or LuaJ using standard APIs for scripting in their respective languages (Ruby, Python and Lua if it wasn't clear :P ).

Also if you have Java 7+, you get Javascript out of the box with the embedded Nashorn engine.

So you have various options to implement scripting in your game if you need to.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Hummm has someone take a deep look in GamePlay? ( I assume we are talking about http://gameplay3d.org )

I am studying OpenGL and some 3d engine/applications concepts... Someone know about gameplay internals?

Has it some good design concepts? May it be used as a good example of 3d framework ? I mean.. the design of internals, etc?

KrinosX

Thanks, I am planning to develop complex games, like gta style games, so it is important that I use something powerful yet simple.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement