• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rAm_y_

Are some people not cut out for programming?

This topic is 2048 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
If you want to go into language parsers in a big way, the "dragon" book will be a great asset.

http://dragonbook.stanford.edu/lecture-notes.html

Also, perhaps you might want to have a look at a slightly simpler implementation of a C (not C++) parser.

http://code.google.com/p/picoc/source/browse/trunk/parse.c

More than likely not as robust but since you are probably a games developer and want to make games rather than language parsers, it might be a better starting reference.

It's also a good idea to NOT compare the code you've worked on for a few days/weeks as your first attempt at a solution, with code worked on by dozens of experts for many man-years, not counting the hours they spend on similar problems, and writing scientific papers about it.

This. Seriously this.

You're comparing yourself, to one of the oldest and most prominent codebases in Unix world that compiles most of the software out there. Their parser must have been tweaked by hundreds of different coders.

Hell, if your code remotely resembled that, you'd probably be a friggin programmer genius.

It's also a good idea to NOT compare the code you've worked on for a few days/weeks as your first attempt at a solution, with code worked on by dozens of experts for many man-years, not counting the hours they spend on similar problems, and writing scientific papers about it.

This. Seriously this.

You're comparing yourself, to one of the oldest and most prominent codebases in Unix world that compiles most of the software out there. Their parser must have been tweaked by hundreds of different coders.

Hell, if your code remotely resembled that, you'd probably be a friggin programmer genius.

Good point, I knew plenty of people were working on it and also as it's open source people can post in suggestions/fixes, so in that case it's got a head start, however, I do think you should be able to reproduce similar code of the top of your head. My code works, string manipulation is easy enough, as I said you could do it in java-script, however there was no overall architecture to my design, only to start with the pre-processor directives and work it out from there, start building more and more generic functions. It will be interesting to try and validate a class with multiple inheritance,  

I will soldier on.

Edited by rAm_y_

You're mistaken. As soon as you try bigger applications you realize that, in software development, there are things that just can't be done by a single person. No matter how good you are.

Its just the reality of it. Could John Carmack code all of IdTech 5 himself? Could Tim Sweeney code all of UnrealEngine 4 himself? I doubt it.

I do recommend one thing, do the things you like, for the rest, there is always a library made by someone who liked to do that particular thing.

Are some people not cut out for programming?

I always catch flak for this, but I truly believe what I'm about to say. 

There are some who are naturally good at problem solving, but that is a skill that can be learned over time. That said, I don't believe there is such thing as a naturally gifted programmer or being cut out to be a programmer or not. Every programmer has busted their butts to be where they are and it is extremely bad form to compare your individual projects and tinkerings to that of a large group of programmers working together for hours a day over the course of months and years. It just takes time and dedication to become a programmer and anything you run into that is difficult just requires the drive to learn it and move forward.

Edited by BHXSpecter

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!