RPG + RTS, some game design issues

Started by
10 comments, last by Witchcraven 22 years, 5 months ago
Oh yeah...

To sum up some of my points, I Guess what im saying is that the easiest way to do the hybrid is to make the battles resolve in an RTS like way, and the rest of the game to be more like baldurs gate or something in RPG sense.

Advertisement
Heroes of might and magic 2(the one I played) isnt a rts, but it is a turn-based strategy rpg. I have a couple of ideas to throw out at you.
1. If you are planning on the player building units of stuff, those units could gain experience, not in a sense of too much, but having newbie units, veteran units and master units could make a difference in who should win in a one-on-one unit battle considering they are the same unit.
2.Having the character as a unit. If this is gonna be somewhat like starcraft, but with rpg elements in it, then I would pick protoss at creation(or it could somehow not care what I am) and when I start a game, I start with the regular stuff plus my character, who gains experience either through one of a couple ways. A:Winning the game and living B:Living through the game Claying a game D:Winning the game and dying. Having said that it all depends on how fast you want your characters to evolve. If you want it fast, then everygame they play they will earn something even if they die in it. If you want it slower then they have to live through it to get something. If you want it slower than that, then they have to live period, meaning if they die they must start over. To continue with the slow thing, They don''t necessarily get experience for winning the game, as in the experience for actually killing something. I personally suggest making them have to kill stuff in order to get experience, whether they win or not wouldn''t affect how much they get by too much. Also, if this happened balancing must come into effect somewhere, unless you don''t care too much about that and want a realistic game.
3. In a realistic game if I had been playing for a long time and can wipe out a beginning player with just my personal character if I get to him fast enough, that is ok, because I know I won''t get much experience for killing hardly anything. The other player should have known not to challenge me. On the other hand, I shouldn''t be able to baby someone to death by killing just the units they can attack with, thus forcing them to leave the game or be perpetually losing until I finish them off.
4. Explain a little more thouroughly what you want out of this game and what you plan to do with this game. That will help people out a lot. It sounds like you are talking to one-two people who already know a little bit about the game you are making.

"Practice means good, Perfect Practice means Perfect"
"Practice makes good, Perfect Practice makes Perfect"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement