• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Shazia786

What game engine suits this?

This topic is 2042 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey,

I've question about what game engine suits me.

??

-3D(AAA if possible)

-C++(Both c++ programming and scripting language(no other language))

-Network(I need it for my FPS online game)

-Doesn't matters whether DirectX or OpenGL

-Doesn't matter about the price but it shouldn't be revenue(which means no CRYENGINE)

-No Torque3D or open source engine( Open Source engine have too many weak parts, which at the end mess you up so please no open source engine thank you.)

-Windows, Mac and linux

-16 player support

-Acceptable polycounts

Thank You!

Edited by Shazia786

Advertisement

>.< (not full source code brother)

okay, around USD$20-30k(c++ thank you)

well thanks for the reply

PS: i don't want the game engine to run editor inside the game like C4 and torque( i don't know about uningine)

Edited by Shazia786

You're probably going to have to relax some of your requirements -- you're unlikely to get full source to a commercial, AAA quality engine with no revenue sharing and all of the features you want for US$30,000.

Have you actually investigated Torque3d in detail to see whether or not your assumption about "too many weak parts" applies?  Were you aware that it was a commercial engine before it was open sourced?

Other than the editor running "inside the game" does C4 meet the rest of your needs and preferences?

In addition to the options listed by Hodgman you might also take a look at Leadwerks.

my ideas got a bit change

??

-3D(AAA IF possible)

-C++(Both c++ programming and scripting language(no other language))< most important one

-Windows, Mac and linux(web support IF possible)

-16 player support

-Acceptable polycounts

leadwerks have issues :http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/8857-leadwerks-31-framerate-low/

low fps for no reason

torque 3d is too buggy

c4 engine editor running "inside the game" + crashes alot when 2 programmed opened together < not just me alot of people realized that

THANKS

Edited by Shazia786

The way you listed your requirements left me wondering, especially the "Open Source Has Weak Parts" part... How much experience do you have? Do you have released titles or are you an inexperienced developer planning ahead?

Your requirements are:

1. Good Graphics;
  2. C++ and Scripting;
  3. Networking.

These 3 you could achieve with no engine, alone they wouldn't justify the acquisition of a AAA class one. Get DX and OpenGL and go.

Or you could list those OpenSource weak parts and contribute their respective fixes to whatever engine you want and use it (or even keep them closed source). In case you can't think of a fix to those weak parts, you should rethink whether or not they -are- weak parts.

Still, if you really want to license a big fish, specially in your case where "the price doesn't matter" (and you have the necessary 5~7 zeros in your account),

add to your list:

1. All platforms you want it to run;
  2. Your Particle Technology requirements (collision? lighting?), [No, it is not necessarily included in AAA Graphics];
  3. Physics engine (need GPU?);
  4. Your asset pipeline requirements;
  5. Your Toolset/3rd party tools support requirements;
  6. Team development tools and version control;
  7. Whether you need features such as hot reload, advanced debugging...

I would advise you to list all those weak parts of the open source engines, and how they would affect your game. It will help you discern your real necessities and you'll make a more informed choice on your licensing.

We became a team after college graduate. 

We have experience in C++, DirectX, Networking, Visual.....(different people will do different thing)

There're 17 people(that's why USD$30,000 or more)

Our assets are ready to use <<<< been hanging around with lots of game engines

My team need acceptable game engine(we're gonna use it for more than 7years)

Cons

Irrlicht - it isn't full game engine

Blender - We've used blender for 1 year and found that the polycount is way too less, 1 light per scene, we can hardly put AI(it start lagging), No integrated networking (the networking is way too bad, you can hardly put 4 online player in a map, you need to lower down the polycount alot) and it's python.(everyone knows python sucks when it comes to 3D)

Torque 3D - Torque script(We can't learn new language, we've been using c++ for more than 7 years and we don't want to waste our knowledge).

S2 ENGINE - S2 scripts, no networking and the map size is too small.

Can anyone suggest a game engine to us, doesn't matters it's open source or not.

What game engine we want? ??

- C++ programming and scripting

- Networking

- Good graphics(We know graphics comes from Good Artist but the game engine need features too)(it don't have to be AAA.)

Thank You!

PS: for those who disliked the post i want to ask : Is asking a question wrong thing?I thought Gamedev forum is made for helping?Is my question so wrong, i just asked "what game engine suits this"?I did a crime or something negative?

Edited by Shazia786

In that case, the first post by Hodgman is probably the best list to work from.

All of those engines are full features, can be developed with C++, can be licensed up front without royalty payments, and otherwise can potentially meet your needs. They won't come cheap, but if they meet your needs it can take many work-years off the development time of a major game.

Thank You! frob

This topic is 2042 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.