Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

float Random(int seed1, int seed2, ..., int seedn);

This topic is 5888 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on implementing perlin noise in realtime, and I am looking for a function that will look something like the following: float Random(int seed1, int seed2, ..., int seedn); There is no need for the function to return actual perlin noise, I am looking for a uniform destribution, I will interpolate it afterwords. Another words, when passed N seeds the function returns a float. Any ideas on where I could get a function like this?

Easiest way I can think of would be to combine your multiple seeds into a single seed and pass it through a typical uniform PRNG (such as linear congruential -- the typical srand/rand).

In combining the seeds, you''ll probably want to ensure it''s non-symmetric. For example, if N=2, then:
Random(3, 5)
is different than
Random(5, 3)

Using something similar to a CRC or MD5TAG on your seeds might prove useful in generating a new seed.

Of course, this reduces the amount of randomness you could possibly attain having N seeds, but for a quick fix, it should work.

---- --- -- -
Blue programmer needs food badly. Blue programmer is about to die!