My C-Language Music

Started by
13 comments, last by cr88192 10 years ago

I've composed a piece of electronic music inspired by the keywords of the C Programming Language. I would like to know your opinion.

[media]https:

[/media]

Creator and only composer at Poisone Wein and Übelkraft dark musical projects:

Advertisement

I enjoy the worst kind of DnB, HS, HC, and I can't handle this song, sorry. rolleyes.gif

It's an interesting idea, I'll give you that.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

"This video is currently unavailable". I got to hear the first 30 seconds, before I reloaded the page as part of logging in to GameDev.net. I think YouTube is full of problems lately. What I heard was a bit twisted, like stuff made to create nightmares. ;)

I agree with TheComet: It is an interesting idea. :)

I thank you for your comments! My compositions are generally more or less "twisted" than that (Except when they are "symphonic/orchestrated pieces" (In that case, they could fit in some kind of "fantasy" genre)).

it was ok I guess...

kind of cool / surreal I guess, sort of evoking at the same time thoughts of the 80s and also bad 90s FMV games and sci-fi movies.

memories of lots of random and at the same time horridly bad early CG effects... back in the 90s, they didn't give a crap if their random CGI whatever mixed well with live actors, or often even resembled anything in particular.

live actors talking around some watercooler or something. random wavy purple and green effect. some cartoon-looking CG monster pops up, random blood splash effect across the water-cooler, something randomly exploding for no apparent reason. often itself very obviously fake and with a sound effect with comically-bad audio quality. eventually turns out the resident mad-scientist in the basement has built a portal to an alternate universe filled with monsters or something. yes, the 90s were good this way... (that and the sometimes comically bad video quality, ...)

in contrast, everything now has to be so serious (or deep/heartfelt/... or something), bit it makes it all kind of dull and bland as a result.

in contrast, in the old-days, whenever something would happen, it was often followed by crappy one-liners.

musically: dunno...

I am mostly a fan of dubstep and similar, which would be a lot more prone to mix the weird-sounding vocal clips with lots of "bass drops" and similar.

like, say, if it had lots more hard / percussive sounds, then maybe suddenly stop, then be like, 'wuuuuubbbb, wubidy-wubidy-wub', and then a bunch of hard/rapid percussive sounds, mixed with more "wubs", or similar, then a little more "melody", then another "bass drop", ... (so then the melody and bass and percussive sounds can create a contrast, and maybe some occasional high-frequency sounds or similar to add interest, ..., making it sound like there is a lot more going on).

not sure the specifics, but things like 40Hz-120Hz square and triangle waves seems to be part of it + lots of reverb + clamping + lots of bass + ...

or something...

ok, this description sucks...

strange, I am a c man and io can say that this is totally not how c feels like ;/

though i may say that the end part (about 2:00) is far better than beginning

This is very interesting, code as music. I wonder if we can extract musical forms from code structure and turn it into a musical form.. kinda like how people do for DNA and molecular music..

This is very interesting, code as music. I wonder if we can extract musical forms from code structure and turn it into a musical form.. kinda like how people do for DNA and molecular music..

I wonder what lisp would sound like...

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Given the functional and recursive nature of lisp it would probably sound like Indian ragas, looping forms with subtle permutations..

musically: dunno...

I am mostly a fan of dubstep and similar, which would be a lot more prone to mix the weird-sounding vocal clips with lots of "bass drops" and similar.

like, say, if it had lots more hard / percussive sounds, then maybe suddenly stop, then be like, 'wuuuuubbbb, wubidy-wubidy-wub', and then a bunch of hard/rapid percussive sounds, mixed with more "wubs", or similar, then a little more "melody", then another "bass drop", ... (so then the melody and bass and percussive sounds can create a contrast, and maybe some occasional high-frequency sounds or similar to add interest, ..., making it sound like there is a lot more going on).

not sure the specifics, but things like 40Hz-120Hz square and triangle waves seems to be part of it + lots of reverb + clamping + lots of bass + ...

or something...

ok, this description sucks...

I've tried once to apply something "close" to a dubstep technique, but for "horror" purposes:

[media]https:

[/media]

Thank you very much! Yes, that's possible. One can do very interesting things mixing mathematics/programming and music. I suggest you to take a look at Vihart's channel. The "problem" in this concept is that human music is very irregular (The "irregularity" makes it sound human/emotional), and generating music with loops/iteration would create machine-like patterns, not "human-heart-touching melodies" (Unlike you spend a lot of time thinking on how to do it).

I also wonder what Haskell would sound like.

I thank you very much for your comments! :).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement