• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How to efficiently divide files up?

This topic is 1404 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am making a pokeclone game... so I need to make a file to list all the monsters, moves, and the leveling rates... Should I separate these into 3 files? 2? or 1?

The above is just copy pasted from my last topic, but I figure that it is likely noone saw it because they answered the original question and moved on I guess I have to make a new topic which I don't like to do if the topic is roughly the same...

to expand a bit...

Should I have the monsters and skills all in one file, or should i separate them into 2 files... same question for character data and pet save data...or all pet data and active data... Cuz if you have followed the conversation in game design, the pet data will have to have "genes", but these genes are only used at one point in the game really and constantly having them loaded seems like it might be a problem, but I don't know. 

So is there a rule of thumb with these things and should i separate these files up or just have them all in one?

Advertisement

I see what you're saying... I don't have Windows office nor a xml exporting program to do that with so i see what you're saying, but does little good for me ^.^ It does answer my question though, just wish I knew a way to convert open office or google sheets files to xml easily.

It does answer my question though, just wish I knew a way to convert open office or google sheets files to xml easily.

If you know PowerShell, you can download your Google spreadsheet into an excel file, then you can write a script in PowerShell using the EPPlus library to extract information form the file and into an xml file.

Or you could use a text editor and do some skillful copy, paste, and multi-line edits to craft your xml...

We've always done ours with a simple macro that people run manually. That approach looks identical.

It does answer my question though, just wish I knew a way to convert open office or google sheets files to xml easily.

If you know PowerShell, you can download your Google spreadsheet into an excel file, then you can write a script in PowerShell using the EPPlus library to extract information form the file and into an xml file.

Or you could use a text editor and do some skillful copy, paste, and multi-line edits to craft your xml...

I see...nope I don't know anything about powershell

You can download LibreOffice Calc for free and use that, no need to use Excel. I think the easiest format to read in a simple table is csv, no need for xml in that case.

Edited by wintertime

>.> So ran into a new problem...

The maximum number of columns in Open Office Calc is 1024... I need more than 3000 for what I'm doing... or I need to come up with another way for what I'm doing to work

The maximum number of columns in Open Office Calc is 1024... I need more than 3000 for what I'm doing... or I need to come up with another way for what I'm doing to work
Yes, absolutely. You are producing at least 3KiB of data for each row/monster/item, not a good workflow at all. This is going to be an hell to manage and tune.

Yes, absolutely. You are producing at least 3KiB of data for each row/monster/item, not a good workflow at all. This is going to be an hell to manage and tune.

lol yeah... I assume I could just not use an editor other than notepad to add and maintain the file, but that would be rather tedious.

And the number was actually 6000+ 30 some other cells.

I've already figured a better way of doing what I am going to do... similar results, but better for what i want and probably for handling overall.

You could just type the table in transposed form (at least in LibreOffice rows are unlimited and OpenOffice is nearly the same program), that may even use the screenspace better while typing it in.

Or split the giant table into more than one table. That may even help to reduce repetition in the data.

If you like to you could write a tiny program convert it into transposed form or combine tables.

Edited by wintertime

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement